joelashley

“Boomerang” blade advice wanted

The Anco “boomerang” blades on our AM Equipment wipers are rotted.  They are 10 years old, 6 of those just parked here by the house with  covers on them in summer.  I don’t see Anco anymore as Trico bought the company some time ago.  As I take it, boomerang was an early nickname for what’s now called frameless or maybe beam blades?

At any rate, photographs on websites can be limited or deceiving, and descriptions variable, so I’m not sure what to replace ours with.  AM’s “frameless” will work, but like others I’ve looked at online, with shipping they get expensive.  I’m sure there are probably differences in quality and coating chemistries, say between Duralast and names like Bosch, Rain-ex, or Michelin, but are those differences noticeable?   Our local parts store has Duralast (by Rostra) ones that are more affordable and in stock, but there are two versions… a “Flex” that’s looks more strongly curved and an “Aero”.  I’m not sure which is proper for us.

I could use recommendations from those here with more knowledge than I’ve been able to glean so far.  Cost to me ranges from $40/pair (Duralast) to well over $60.

28 inch blades.  2006 Beaver Monterey, but the factory “traditional” wipers were faulty, replaced by improved “beam” or “boomerang” model in 2012.

687FFD6E-6364-4BFE-8C79-B857094B2520.jpeg

How are they attached to the wiper arms?  If you don't have the common "J hook" connector you can get a adapter and use any of the regular blades.

Example TRICO Gold® 28 Inch Pack of 2 Automotive Replacement Windshield Wiper Blades $25.00.

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

Thanx Bill.   I’d assume adapters commonly included would fit our J hook AM wipers.

But part of my inquiry here is there any real difference between, say, the Tricos vs for example “high rated” Bosch:  https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-24A-Wiper-Blade-Longer/dp/B07VBPKX26?tag=cnet-buy-button-20&ascsubtag=837e7311a74e4a7c88bbdaf24b1e96e8|596716f0-b2f9-4fb3-8597-7c8fdf42235a|dtp&th=1  at $46.

Just looking for fellow owners’ experience with commonly available blades, and maybe any differences between frameless and so-called hybrid blades.

Edited by joelashley

I  have found rockauto.com best for purchasing wiper blades. Do not search by  vehicle but rather the actual part and length. A few years ago I bought replacement 28" wiper blades(not refills) from them for under $5 each.

Edited by rayin

Thanks Rayin.  Finally, but not without difficulty removing the old blade to nail down the size, I determined the 28” Trico Force at RockAuto is one of the better deals, but still $28 a pair after$11 shipping, always to be considered if not at Amazon Prime.

Will review a few more, but was hoping for more input here re. differences in brand and model performance.  Thanks to Rayin and Wildbill for the contributions, which is more than I’ve found elsewhere. 👍🏻

Edited by joelashley

Standard AM Equipment 9mmX4mm J hook.  Age had apparently jammed the adapter in place, so depressing it’s “tab” and simply pulling didn’t disengage it with the J hook.  A little WD40 and some encouragement finally helped get the adapter and blade off, after a brief YouTube consult to be certain I wasn’t misinterpreting the obvious mounting mechanism.