Sign in to follow this  
hopmarcollinfam

Which Tire Pressure Monitoring System is best?

Hi, Folks.

Need a little expert help. I'm new to the RV world and could use all the help I can get! Wife and I just bought a 1994 Monaco Dynasty diesel pusher.

The tires, Bridgestone R250 295-75-22.5, look great but have a born date of 15th week in 2002. I don't plan any really long trips till I retire in four years. Thought I could get away with buying two New Michelins for the front steering tires and with a TPMS all the way around to catch any potential problems with the drive tires before it becomes catastrophic. (Pick up two spare tires that way too!)

Been researching different TPMS systems out there and most seem to me, "not well thought out"! I can sure appreciate the tire valve cap being replaced with the sensor cap with buit-in radio transmitters, but I don't understand the logic of having to remove the sensor to adjust the pressures in the tires.

The only one I found that allows pressure adjustments with the sensor in place is the system by Mobile Awareness called Tire Stat. Their sensors have a direct-to-valve-stem mount but allow through the sensor air adjustments, simply remove valve cap and add or remove air, reinstall valve cap.

Does anyone have any specific recommendation or know of other TPMS systems that have this through the sensor air-up feature?

Thanx, in advance, for all who post replies.

HF hop Collin

Guest BillAdams

First, your tires are old and need to be replaced. A TPMS will only tell you that your tire just blew, but I suspect that you already knew that by then. Safety is not something to take for granted and a TPMS cannot make bad tires safe.

Once you replace the tires, do a search here and at some of the other RV forums for "tire pressure monitor" and "TPMS" and you should end up feeling like you are at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

If you want the best, SmarTire is the way to go. I've had three systems so far between my previous coaches - TireSentry, Pressure Pro, and SmarTire. When it came time to set up the present coach SmarTire was my hands-down choice. However, it's also the most expensive. If you are trying to meter out tires that are already 8 years old you probably won't want to spring for the SmarTire system. The benefit is that it uses internal sensors that send both pressure and temperature information. It then calculates the proper pressure according to the current temperature. These temperature compensation algorithms track pressure differentials exactly. For details on this system check out my website tutorial at http://www.rvcruzer.com/smartire.php. I bought mine at Dickman Tires and highly recommend them.

If your needs are more price sensitive I'd recommend TireSentry. That would be my choice in an external sensor system. You do have to remove the sensors to add air but they are no harder to remove than a valve stem cap and do not require recalibration. I've had good success with both systems.

Regardless of your choice, I do recommend getting some sort of system. They won't protect against a severe instantaneous blowout but that's more due to running tires that are beyond their service life. Most tires fail from overheating after they have run with lower air pressure. If you pick up a nail you may never feel it but the tire will heat up and the sidewall will eventually blow if it gets hot enough for long enough. A TPMS system will tell you in advance and give you time to pull over and deal with it before it becomes catastrophic.

Re SmarTire - It is a good system. However, I was at Dickman Tire (Junction City, OR) last week to have ours worked on. Paul there informed me that Smartire has been sold to a larger company and that the new owners have withdrawn them from the RV market. Spare parts will still be available.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Keith

Newell 45'

I have a Smart Tire System. Works really well. Can be set to your Coach & Tire Mfg. recommended pressures.

Has an alarm which I have had the Good/Bad mis fortune to use? Save a real problem from happening! Could have cost me dearly! Not a cheap system but worth the money!

Not one of those screws on the valve stem, waiting to be stolen or fall off! Shop around compare the brands and functions ! Good Luck

CC. Magna 42 w/Tag monitoring all 8 tires

We have the Hawkshead System & it works fine..... it does temp and pressure.... Most systems you would have to pull a cap or sensor off to add air anyway????

"Best" is always a challenge as we all have slightly different value systems. BUT In my opinion the "best" would be:

- Internal to the tire air chamber

- Senses pressure and temperature

- Allows you to set upper and lower temperature warning levels

- Allows you to set lower pressure warning level

- Costs less than $200

- You can buy individual replacement sensors at under $35

- Allows all tires on coach and toad to be monitored

Now the problem is... I don't think there is such a system.

OK, I have been informed my post was useless.

How about if you see which system that you can afford has the greatest number of features than are in my list?

Hi hopmarcollinfam,

TPMS technology is a commodity. All of them work.

Consider understanding what each system measures and what you must do to install and maintain the system.

How do you interact with the system?

Is the display easy to read/interpret when driving down the road?

Then purchase the system that best meets your individual needs for interacting with it. The same advice is good for several of the items we purchase. Wireless Internet, Sat TV, towing systems, TPMS systems and steering stabilizers are just a few examples of commodity technologies that work.

One just needs to find the one that works for them.