tonylangton

Theft deterrence alarm system

Three weeks ago we had the unpleasant experience of having the catalytic converter stolen from our motorhome while it was in our storage lot.  Despite gate code entry, some surveillance cameras, and no sign of forced entry, three motorhomes had converters stolen.  We are in the process dealing with insurance, no availability of OEM replacement converters and determining what after market units will work.  It is very clear that there must be a market for stolen catalytic converters so the possibility that this could easily happen again we are considering if we should install an alarm system.

Preferably I'd like to find an easy to install DIY system.  Our hope is that a loud alarm maybe with flashing light would scare off the next thief.  We have considered installing a cage with hardened bolts to make cutting out the converter harder but this doesn't seem like it would be effective.  If anyone has experience with with any of this I'd really appreciate your feedback.  

Thanks,

Tony Langton
Irmo, South Carolina

Alarms do have a tendency to scare away some thieves, but with a sawzall and 2 minutes or less to remove a cat converter, respond time would be dependent if a patrol car were nearby. Those are the chances thieves take knowing the outcome if they are caught. Short time in prison, parole, do it all over again.

Curious, were the MH's gas or diesel?

There are some motorcycle alarms that work off of vibration if it could be anchored to the converter. Sure would get there attention.

Edited by wayne77590

With the new laws and restrictions put in place last fall, I suspect the market for stolen CATS, and their construction materials is drying up rather quickly. I spoke with the manager of a local scrap yard last month, he said now his company requires a photo ID and state-issued registration/license to sell CATS or derived materials to a salvage yard.

Edited by rayin

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Curious, were the MH's gas or diesel?

I think they were all gas. I haven't heard of any thefts of the new style diesel mufflers/filters. They are expensive but don't have the metal that the thieves' are after.

Bill

We are gas on the Ford F53 chassis. As far as the effectiveness of an alarm I realize how little time it takes thieves to cut off a converter.  At 3:00 in the morning there's not likely to be anyone around to hear it other than the thief.  We just hate to think that we could easily face this again when we do get it replaced.  Our storage place has not been very helpful to beef up their cameras.

We first have to figure out where to get a replacement converter that's not a cheap aftermarket.  The repair shop we have used for a number of things on our 2013 Tiffin, and trust, has warned us go with OEM Ford to avoid sensor and warning light problems.  However the plant that builds these is apparently closed or so backed up that we are facing a 6 month wait.  He is proposing adapting the mounting flange on a different OEM converter that he can get that he says will work.   This means we have to deal with a $2056 cost differential between the initial insurance adjuster estimate ($1585) and our local repair shop estimate ($3641).  We will work on that this week.  Any insights will be appreciated.  

Tony

re: that cost differential. The ins. co. should pay all but deductible. In my MH policy there is a clause permitting the policy holder to invoke a 3rd party appraisal. This is very similar to arbitration, you hire an independent appraiser, the ins. co. is required to do the same. If your independent appraisal amount and the ins. co. independent appraisal amount cannot be agreed upon by them, then it goes to an independent umpire who has the final say in the matter.

This takes the appraisal out of the hands of the ins. co. entirely. There is a downside, each party must pay their own expenses during this, with the umpire cost split evenly.

I saw a post on a different RVing forum about a new theft prevention device for CAT protection.https://www.catstrap.net/

If a determined thief wants something they will get it. Our best protection is to make the theft consume so much time the thief will move along to an easier target with less chance of getting caught.