bdweak

2023 towing guide

Does anyone know if FMCA is going to publish a towing guide for this year?  It is normally in the Jan edition of the magazine.  It was not in it this month.  I was really looking forward to it this year as we are looking to buy a TOAD this year.  I am tired of using a tow dolly.

I received this from Pamela Kay, Director of Communications and Publishing.

"We moved it to the February issue this year to give more time for manufacturers to release information for the new models. Honestly, even with an extra month, we still struggled to make contact with company reps, and some don’t have owners manuals posted online for many models. It seems that the automotive industry is still suffering from the issues created by the pandemic. It’s always been challenging to compile this information but even more so in the past few years."

It's nice to have the guide but if anyone is interested in a specific brand an online search of the vehicle manual will give all the details for towing or not towing. Yes, I know it is simpler to look at a guide, but when push comes to shove the manual is the place to go.

Thank you everyone for your replies. dons2346, that is what I needed to know.  wayne77590, I use the guide as a starting point, then look at each manual for the vehicle that I am interested in.

Again thank you all.

I do the same but if there is a specific auto you are interested by looking at the 2022 list you can then jump to the manual and see if it is still applicable.

Happy hunting.

I no longer trust these online towing guides. I have found several errors in them in the past, so I always refer folks to the specific owners manual, under recreational towing section.

Ray, it's okay to use them as a reference but I agree that the only true way is the Mfg's manual, and even then it's a crap shoot.

I called a Mfg for a specific car when I was getting different answers. The vehicle was not towable and they said it was a cut and past from an earlier manual and they were putting out a revised edition. 

Best way besides manuals is to see if anyone else is towing the vehicle and if they have problems. Then the manual again.

On 1/8/2023 at 11:55 PM, wayne77590 said:

Ray, it's okay to use them as a reference but I agree that the only true way is the Mfg's manual, and even then it's a crap shoot.

I called a Mfg for a specific car when I was getting different answers. The vehicle was not towable and they said it was a cut and past from an earlier manual and they were putting out a revised edition. 

Best way besides manuals is to see if anyone else is towing the vehicle and if they have problems. Then the manual again.

I do agree that the guide and even the Mfg's manual is a crap shoot.  I purchased a 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited after checking the guides and the Mfg's manual said it was 4 down towable.  I had three cases of the death wobble and twice in the same day with lesss than 7,000 miles on the GC.  Call Jeep Cares to looking for a solutions and they said "Don't Tow 4 Down and only tow with all 4 wheels off the ground" not only they told me they also put in the records under the VIN number of my GC.  They also sent me a letter stating the same thing. The dealer ship said is was a CYA incase I ever got in accident.

Edited by cwswine

cwswine, I think Jeep came out with a special wiring harness to eliminate the "death wobble". DW bought a new 2017 GC Limited and was told at the time "do not tow behind your MH", so instead we tow my 2013 Silverado.

This forum thread explains: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/make-cherokee-flat-tow-mode-automatic-297500.html

Edited by rayin

Dennis,

Jeep has been having a problem for some time now regarding the "Death Wobble,"

Maybe this article can give you some information to use: Jeep Death Wobble

It wasn't/isn't just towing. It can happen driving the Jeep. Subject has been covered on the other forums also.