ejdeitschman

Dometic Refrigerator is not staying cold

We bought a used 2020 Keystone Cougar 368MBI in 2020. It was practically new. In Aug 2022, we had the refrigerator replaced under manufacturer warranty because it would not stay cold. Now, 1/2023, the refrigerator is out again and would not stay cold. We called Dometic and they said the refrigerator is no longer under warranty because it has passed the 2 year warranty even though we just got a new fridge less than 5 months ago. We can’t figure why it is not staying cold. Does anyone have this issue with their Dometic refrigerator or know what could be the problem? We have model RM1350SLM. ~Jason

Edited by ejdeitschman

First do some homework. Go to bryantrv.com or MyRVwork.com and download the installation manual for your  make/model refrigerator. Then closely inspect the installation in  your trailer, measuring distances and angles.

This is a fairly common problem with RV mfgrs. they appear to do what is quicker and easier vs exactly what the manual states. This results in poor cooling.

In the meantime, consider adding a small 12V blower-type fan on the condensing coils pointing up the poorly installed chimney.

Edited by rayin

I had to replace the cooling unit on my 2014 Dometic last year because it wasn't keeping cold. I noticed a yellow powder in the burner unit while troubleshooting indicating that it had leaked. The installer said you have to make sure you are in the bubble level during operation to ensure proper flow of the gasses within or it will pop the tubes. That said, I'd be looking at the chimney clearances as Rayin advised given that you are having the same issue after putting in a new unit. My repair tech said that he sees more chimney problems when the refrigerators are located in slide outs.

Thank you for the insights. We will check things out…when the rain stops. 🙄😒 could be poor installation by the tech? We emptied the fridge but the temp remained at 50 degrees. I wiggled some wires in the back after this post and the temp has gone down to normal but it doesn’t stay 33/34 degrees consistently. It was 33 yesterday and 37 today. Let’s see where it goes in the next few days. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edited by ejdeitschman

We have a 2017 Dometic side by side absorption fridge.  It has never kept the fridge cold when the ambient temp is 80 or above.  After several years of frustration, I ordered  a 12vdc only replacement unit from   https://jc-refrigeration.com/in Indiana.  They provide a dual compressor unit, one for the fridge and one for the freezer.  I installed it a couple of months ago and it stays at 34 degrees in the fridge and -8 degrees in the freezer despite temps over 100 degrees.  The only difficult part of the install was the need to run 10 gauge wires from the breaker panel (or battery, with a fuse) to the unit.  Very helpful people and awesome products.  Check out the current issue of Family RVing as there is an article by Steve Froese on this subject.