nowberv

Tires Opinion

Opinion: I have a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V Freightliner chassis
1 - Wheel alignment :  Bean Bag or Dynamic speed balance

2 - All around Tires  or  Stear tires and drive tires 270 / 70R / 22.5
Thanks

nowberv, Welcome to the forum. I use to have a Bounder 38N and I would recommend getting a "all wheel aliment" I also only used spin balancing and weights to balance the tires. I was amazed how much the rear axel was out of alignment.

Bill

FWIW, I'm running 6 Sailun truck tires, S637, 275/70R22/5 all-position tires. I'm not in favor or running rough-tread drive tires on a MH because I never plan to drive on soft surfaces. Since a MH has a open differential rough, noisy drive tires will not make much difference in dirt/mud anyway.

If you're having a wheel alignment performed, go ahead and pay for a total alignment(~$300) and get the rear axle aligned too. When I had my MH aligned they found the rear axle was out of alignment by 3/4". The telltale sign of thrust angle incorrect is a crooked steering wheel when driving straight.

Wheel balancing; I've always had tires spin-balanced, but as truck tires wear the balance point changes. Next set of tires will contain balancing beads and have the required special valve cores.

For motorhomes I would recommend all wheel alignment and spin balance on the coach for the fronts as brakes & hubs can be out of balance.

2 hours ago, tireman9 said:

For motorhomes I would recommend all wheel alignment and spin balance on the coach for the fronts as brakes & hubs can be out of balance.

I don't know anyone who has that equipment any more. Tell us who does have the equipment.

Bill

I don't know of one in the Dallas Fort Worth area that has the equipment, including the machine to true tires by shaving some of the tread off. The place I used, Cowser Tire and Service, 1700 NE Loop 820, Fort Worth, TX has a new computerized machine that seams to do a good job with the big 22.5 tires.

Bill

I use to use Centrimatics for years and it seemed never quite right.  I switched to beads about 10 years age and have been more happy with the balance.  Being the tightwad I am when I changed tires I scooped out the beads and put them in the new tires.

Yes spin balancing equipment is available for 22.5"  and 24.6" truck tires: https://www.coatsgarage.com/media/modular_content/Heavy_Duty_Balancer_brochure.pdf

As to truing today's tires, they very seldom require such a drastic measure; IF the installer knows their job and matches the concentric rings on the tire to the rim, equidistantly  the entire circumference of the rim.