mmaurice

Lights for flat towing

I'm looking at upgrading to a more permanent system. Options appear to be:
- Splicing into the Jeep Cherokee Sport wiring with a diode kit
- Using an 'add-a-bulb' kit that puts an additional bulb in each brake light

My inclination is to use the 'add-a-bulb' option, as it creates a separate system for flat towing that doesn't alter the stock system.

Anyone had any experiences with either of these options? If so, whose kit did you use?

I have not had a Jeep, but several manufacturers recommend to use the added "bulb or LED" to avoid connecting into the original wiring system. One highly rated installer in Elkhart will not use the diode system due to potentially voiding of manufacturer's warranty. I have used both and prefer the added LED system. Suggest you go out to RoadMasters web site and review the different wiring schematics for LEDs. You need to know do the turn signals on your motor home use different lights than brake lights. Same for Jeep. I had to use part of two different schematics and added their power module. Wiring took longer than installing the adapter plates for the tow bar. My auto had 64 screws to remove and reinstall and several special tools to get to the screws. 

I've been towing for well over 30 years (I can't remember anymore when I started).  I've always wired in a diode kit behind the taillights of the towed.  Never had any problems.  I run a four wire cable from the front bumper to the taillights and do my splicing there.  The diodes have worked perfectly and never caused any problems.  Sure, it's a hassle to get the wire from the front to the back under the carpeting but you'll have that problem no matter which solution you use.  On toweds with separate brake and turn signal lights, I just tie the stop/turn wire from the MH to the stop lights.  The taillight wire can use the same bulb also.   Up to now, all the bulbs on my toweds have been standard incandescent type but I doubt if LED bulbs would cause any problems.

It isn't the bulbs or LEDs that are the problem, it is the new computer systems used in newer towables. Our 2019 Chevrolet Equinox was our first that specifically stated to not wire into the manufacturers system. Times have changed over our 38 years.  To be sure contact the manufacturer and ask about specifics.  RoadMaster and Blue Ox may have specifics, also. 

I added the LED bulbs when they wired up my CRV. I believe we got the light kit from Blue Ox. It has worked well. I made adding the baseplate and bulbs as part of the deal when I bought my CRV.

Bill

I had the Blue Ox on my 2017 Jeep Wrangler and used Blue Ox wiring kit.  After hooking up I would do a light check doing brakes, left signal, and right signal and called it good.  I was told by gentleman at the campground that I should check turn signal on and step on the brakes and sure enough the blinker quite blinking when you step on the brakes.  I figured something was wired incorrectly so I called Blue Ox and the tech said that's known problem and ask me "How Often Do You Step On the Brakes With The Blinker On".  I said all the time and he said I was the only one that does.  Roadmaster made a kit called the Blue Ox Fix and that fix the problem.  

When I bought my Jeep part of the sale was free install of the lighting kit by the Jeep dealer and he used one with the diodes on my 2020 Jeep with LED light option.  He stated it didn't void the warranty. Yep, I can put the brakes on and blinker keeps blinking.

If I remember correctly Jeep makes a harness that plug and play for the Wrangler but the cost is quite high. 

Edited by cwswine