gwjohnson

Easy Way To Top Off Battery Water

Although we do have a battery tray slide out for the 6 house batteries in our 2010 Tiffin Phaeton, it was still somewhat challenging sometimes to top off the batteries when needed (I check them monthly), due to somewhat cramped spaces and of course lots of cabling, etc. I discovered an easy way to do this without spilling distilled water when filling..... a common turkey baster, with a short piece of clear vinyl tubing attached to the end of the turkey baster. It's easy to siphon up distilled water from the gallon container, see it through the clear vinyl tubing extension, pinch the tubing with your fingers when full, place the end of the tubing in the individual cells of the battery and release the distilled water into the battery cell. I keep the turkey baster / vinyl tubing "tool" in the battery compartment for easy access when checking battery water levels monthly.

Greg W. Johnson

I was reading your post.. That's Good ...But if you do not want to spill H2O every ware its easer way to fill a battery. There is a battery filler has a metered spout, put it on the filler opening (hole) and hold it down, it will fill the correct amount every time no guessing did I put in to much or not enough! It holds about one quart of liquid. They are inexpensive and are easy store the cargo bay (full of H20).. also available is baister type (but small and designed than the one your using.. Designed for battery filling... also works VG.

I have both' the second small filler is to reach the two rear filler openings because they are very tough to get to on my coach, to fill and read..

Both of these items are/cost under $12.00 dollars, cheap for what they do and how long they last. I have had the auto-fill for yrs... its never let me down.. I hope this help you with the problem..

And yes you do I mean really do have to check & fill your battery's monthly... or you'll have problem on the HWY. Ross Zie'

I keep distilled water in a pump up sprayer. I took off the spary tip and just use the tube to place over each cell. The sprayer has an spring loaded valve. right amount of water and no drip. Hope this helps other as it has me.

There is an even easier way. There is a battery filler that has tubes to every cell. I just insert the tube in the distilled water jug and squeeze the bulb. Each cell has its own check valve and flow stops when full.

It was a chore to install but since the battery slide on my coach is almost impossible to operate by myself, it has been worth every penny. Once a month it takes me about one minute to fill all 24 cells.

There is an even easier way. There is a battery filler that has tubes to every cell. I just insert the tube in the distilled water jug and squeeze the bulb. Each cell has its own check valve and flow stops when full.

It was a chore to install but since the battery slide on my coach is almost impossible to operate by myself, it has been worth every penny. Once a month it takes me about one minute to fill all 24 cells.

Is there any possible way you could post photos of your solution? I'm a newbie, and still trying to figure everything out. Your solutions sounds perfect! :)

It's a commercial product called the Qwik-Fill Battery Watering System from Flow-Rite, and is carried by Camping World.

I use the system by ezgo golf carts. It has a 1 gallon resovoir that is mounted higher than the batteries with a on off valve. Just open until the clear tubes are full and shut off and look at the level indicators on each cell. If not all full open the valve for a few more seconds.

I have used the Camping World quick fill system on 2 coaches. Much easier and really fast too. It is something that I dreaded with prev coach, had to use a mirror and water can with flashlight. No More!!!!

The quick fill systems are not cheap! With needing multiple battery fill systems that will add up quickly. Thinking of trying the spray bottle method first.

For the most part they are 6 volt golf cart batteries and the only thing you have to be concerned with is the spacing between cells. Some watering kits have tubing between the cells so they can accommodate different dimensions.

Ok. Thank you. Still not sure how to determine what kit to buy. I must be making a simple thing hard because I still don't know what the differences are between the kits. I would hate to order the wrong one. If I order one I will be sure to call them on the telephone and let them know what I am dealing with. I do like the system though. Looks like it would be worth the $$.

One style is that the 3 units are molded into one piece so you have to have the correct one. The other has tubing between them so you can vary the distance.

Hi Rich,

You may also consider adding some mineral oil to each cell and eliminate the need to add water very often. I installed new house batteries (Sam's Golf Cart) last September and the motorhome has either been plugged in to 50 amp service in my storage building or in use and I've not added a drop of water. Another side benefit, I have not had to clean any corrosion since adding the mineral oil.

There is a debate on how much mineral oil to use, any where from 1 oz to 4 oz in each cell seems to be the discussed amount. Google mineral oil in wet cell batteries.

I have two friends that have used this technique for four plus years with success.

Thanks Jim. I will look at oil additive as a way to help with this issue. I also saw this subject discussed on the goodsamclub.com forum site. Mixed opinions I see on the oil as an effective additive.

Thanks for your input and reply. Take care.

If you look at this month's FMCA magazine, it covers mineral oil. Going by it, mineral oil will do more harm than good. Just sayin'...

Take a look at the article.

Will do. I see some in articles that have not had issues and others that do not recommend it. I am not sure I would do something with the new coach that is questionable. I would hate to try and fix something that isn't broken in an attempt to improve it unless it was a sure thing. JMHO

Check page 18 of the March 2014 FMCA magazine. It says NOT to put mineral oil in the batteries. Among other things, it points out that the liquid in batteries is not water; it's sulfuric acid. And water will not float on top of the acid. It will mix with the acid and coat the plates. I have seen several discussions about this idea, but this is the first one that so strongly opposed it. Interesting.