mmaurice

Wiring an XJ to be a toad.

I am trying to figure out how to wire an older Jeep Cherokee (1999 XJ) to a newer 2019 Southwind Motorhome.

I have called trailer a couple of times and keep getting different answers. I called Roadmaster and gott an even different answer.

part of the issues are:

When the Jeep is off and I depress the brake, the brake light will light. Roadmaster says I need Roadmaster Brake-Lite Relay Kit for Towed Vehicles.

while e trailer says there is no need for this but I will need Vehicle to Vehicle Tail Light Converter and 2 additional diodes. Roadmaster says this is not needed!

Another e trailer representative says none of this is needed and to watch there video.

BTW I am planning to install the Roadmaster Diode 7-Wire to 6-Wire Flexo-Coil Wiring Kit

I am really lost on where to go with this.  Also, when towing a car does the license plate need to be illuminated at night. If so will the tail lights automatically turn this light on?

I think E-trailer is right. I had a 1997 Jeep Grand cherokee, which has only one light for brake and turn signal on each side.. The installer had to use the relay converter because the MH has separate brake and turn signal bulbs in separate fixtures. My relay converter is about 2" long X 1" high X 3/4" thick, if that has any useful information. FWIW, that 1996 Jeep GC used the same OEM wiring to the rear lighting, no special diodes, just that converter box on the MH just ahead of the 7-pin Bargman plug.

All the lighting on the Jeep should work in conjunction with the MH lighting when wired correctly, the MH light switch will control both vehicles with umbilical cord attached..

I'm inclined to think Roadmaster is pushing their product instead of the less expensive method.

Just for comparison, talk to a local Uhaul hitch and wiring installer for their opinion; then speak with a Blue Ox installer about the simple way of configuring the wiring..

More bulbs and more wiring is just that much more to cause future issues IMO.

Then to end this reply; Now there is a wireless lighting system for towed vehicles, but the setup is quite expensive comparatively.

21 minutes ago, rayin said:

I think E-trailer is right. I had a 1997 Jeep Grand cherokee, which has only one light for brake and turn signal on each side.. The installer had to use the relay converter because the MH has separate brake and turn signal bulbs in separate fixtures. My relay converter is about 2" long X 1" high X 3/4" thick, if that has any useful information. FWIW, that 1996 Jeep GC used the same OEM wiring to the rear lighting, no special diodes, just that converter box on the MH just ahead of the 7-pin Bargman plug.

All the lighting on the Jeep should work in conjunction with the MH lighting when wired correctly, the MH light switch will control both vehicles with umbilical cord attached..

I'm inclined to think Roadmaster is pushing their product instead of the less expensive method.

Just for comparison, talk to a local Uhaul hitch and wiring installer for their opinion; then speak with a Blue Ox installer about the simple way of configuring the wiring..

More bulbs and more wiring is just that much more to cause future issues IMO.

Then to end this reply; Now there is a wireless lighting system for towed vehicles, but the setup is quite expensive comparatively.

Actually Roadmasters’ setup would be cheaper. And I think my setup is opposite yours. My MH has just the one stop/turn signal and my Jeep has a separate stop and turn signal. 
Roadmaster says to wire the stop/turn signal together for towing and not to wire the amber light. However when not towing the Jeep everything would be normal.

Forget everything I said then. Mr rig is entirely different. Good luck with your project!