gthatch

New Class A gas coach refueling worries

Somewhat of a newbie question, not new to RVing, but new to Class A's...

We are moving up from a 26' Winnebago View to a 37' Entegra Vision XL. I am used to being able to get into small gas stations. Now I guess I will need to use stations such as Love's, Pilot, etc. I drove by our local Pilot and the big lanes appear to be for big diesel trucks, no unleaded gas. Will our coach (12' 10" height) fit in the normal car lanes? Any advice is appreciated. Are there any stations that have large RV lanes for gas motorhomes?

Gary

Many convenience stores will have a wide lane on the far end away from the store. I use Meijers grocery convenience store for our 39 foot motor home and towing a Chevrolet Equinox. Meijers is Top Tier gas and treated diesel. I avoid Flying J and many other truck stops. Local none interstate stations will usually have lower prices. Us Gas Buddy app to locate and Google Earth to check if you will fit. 

Although I have a diesel engine, I've found that Murphy fuel stations have the pump arranged so the end pumps are accessible to large vehicles. The local Murphy fuel station is where the city refuels their school bus's sometimes; and where I refuel my 40' MH W/towed there before beginning a trip.

Pilot Flying J travel centers have separate fuel islands in front of the store with both diesel and gas, apart from the auto-gas pumps designed especially for RV's, their island even has a dump station and fresh water source for travelers.

Where is your filler locates? When I have to use smaller gas stations I use the end islands and stay on the outside. Keep an eye on the awning/cover over the fuel islands. It gets easier as you gain experience. 

Access is anouther reason I start looking for fuel usually around 1/2 tank. 

Bill

Edited by wildebill308

as far as the height issue, i have yet tocome accross a gas station roof too low for my Class A's.  You might be extra cautious at older stations, but most newer stations are well over 13' high.

it can never hurt to stop and take a look as you get close, if you have any doubts.

We travel in our Class A, 39 foot, Winnebago, usually towing our truck. We mainly stick to Flying J, Pilot and Loves travel Stops. Flying J with their dedicated RV islands are by far the easiest to get in and out of. Between our credit card discount, the GoodSam discount at FlyingJ/Pilot, and the Love's monthly promos, we generally save .20 to .25 cents a gallon. We never head into town in search of "cheaper" gas as it can lead to issues which saving a few cents more per gallon is just not worth it to us.