David Cron

Sheppard Steering Box

I have a 1996 Beaver Monterey 36 foot, Cat 3126, Allison Automatic DP. My sector shaft seal started pouring fluid out when I backed into my driveway to park the RV. I have been researching everything and everywhere for information on this M80 steering box from Shepherd. So far I have found that these M80’s are not as available as the M100. My Beaver has an SMC Magnum S series chassis, (S26A330, S24E250, S24E300), and I have found one place I can order a seal repair kit (#5543461). My problem is two things. I cannot locate any place that sells the Shepherd M80, and I can’t find the series number on the steering box as of yet, for the other numbers for the M80. I have taken photos of the box still on my unit which I will try to post here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Dream Machine

1996 Cat 330DP

EA9AC0CB-617C-4164-8D8D-5F79CF1163F4.jpeg

9DF6AB36-C371-48D3-A4AC-668B28979889.jpeg

Thank you, rayon, for the information. I will start with them. I also understand they make a TRW change over kit for this. I found the rest of the number today on the steering box. It is a Sheppard M80PAW1 automatic adjusting. Any help on the TRW would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

Edited by David Cron
Changed wording

I have found a steering box for my RV at Wheller Truck Parts. It will take 5 days to come in but it is a new unit, not a reman. $1100 with my core, but problem solved. A reman was $900 and would take 10 days to make it and then another 10 to get it to the store. I elected to order the new one and drive 2 hours to the store, take my core in( worth $500) at the same time, so with tax about $1300 total. Hope this post will help someone else too. 
Thanks again for all of the help here!

Use a length of string and follow the entire belt around pulleys back to the end of the string, and mark. Then measure length of string.  Count the grooves in the belt. Take those facts to your local NAPA store,  along with the make -year and model of your engine. They can match up to a new belt.

BTW, when replacing a belt, replace the tensioner too.

Edited by rayin

Sorry for this late addition for the above belt question and Rayin’s comment, I was able to secure a new serpentine belt and also the tensioner at Advance Auto parts. I took the old belt in to make sure I got the correct one and I got the tensioner number from a Cat technician friend. That problem solved. Almost a year later, now, my alternator is only putting out 12.4 volts without any load. Also failed the alternator amperage output test, showing weak diodes. As soon as I get the replacement, and if it fixes my issue, I will post all part numbers in case someone else finds this issue for their rig.

Thanks again for the help guys!