Kwcantera

Looking to move into the Class A MC World

Hello Everybody, been a member since the fall of 2022, reading a lot of the forums here and online for information and reference and now it's time to start posting. Wife and I began camping in a tent many years ago when the kid's were younger and all our joints were operating much easier. In 2021 decided to purchase an RV trailer (Forest River, Hurricane, GLX) and start camping again. After some good times in it with the kids and now grandkids were wanting to move up to a Class A. After many discussions this past summer and fall with current Class A owners and unknown hours of internet searches we think we found something on RV Trader that checks all the boxes and still in budget. Took a trip to Orange Beach, AL this past week to get eyes on and walked away very pleased. The coach is a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH, all electric (still listed on RV Trader). Coach looked to be in excellent condition, garage kept since new, it was used for vacations and not full time use with interior showing little if any wear. Had it out for a test drive and was very pleased with handling, lack of rattles and over all comfort of ride. My next step is to contact an inspector who I've already had preliminary discussions with that is NRVIA, RDDVA and RVIA certified to complete an inspection of the coach. In addition to the coach the owner is also offering the toad that is a 2017 Jeep Wrangler which set-up with RoadMaster tow bar and plate and AirForce braking system. After doing my homework (previous discussions with current MC owners, forum reading, etc.) I would greatly appreciate input from  the folks on here for items I'm over looking or have just not thought about. Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Keith

You describe a great rig! If it were me, my only added concern is the engine size, I would not want a 40' MH with a Cummins B 6.7 engine, not enough torque or HP if planning travels that include mountain driving. I would want at least a Cummins ISL 400 HP. Yes a Cummins ISB 6.7 will reliably get you there with slightly better fuel mileage, but it will be slow climbing grades.

I have a Cummins ISC 350 HP engine and on steep climbs it struggles to maintain 45 MPH sometimes when towing our Silverado pickup..

The 2018 Tiffin QBH should have this…Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISL 380 HP/1050 lb Torque.

Also be aware that the tires on the Tiffin are close to being aged out and should be inspected. Depending on where it was parked and proper care will determine when they need to be replaced.

Our previous MH was a 2014 QBH, great MH

Edited by campcop

Thank You all above for the responses. It's my understanding the tires actually start showing degradation in the area of sidewall and tread area (on the corners) and that area appears to be good as of our "eyes on tour" last week. Certified inspection is scheduled for 04/04. Engine is the Cummins ISL 380 HP/1050lb torque. Also spoke to a friend who is a diesel mechanic who feels it is a great engine and can be tuned up further in performance if needed (which he does not think it will be needed).

12 hours ago, Kwcantera said:

It's my understanding the tires actually start showing degradation in the area of sidewall and tread area (on the corners) and that area appears to be good as of our "eyes on tour" last week.

It doesn't matter what they look like. What matters is the age of the tires. Cheack the date code.

Bill

Thank you Bill, will do that. Speaking of tires does anyone have suggestions for a roadside assist program for tire issues and or a general breakdown? Current owner mentioned GoodSam but said others were out there.