timnjulie

300 hp Cummins diesel

I have a 2005 Damon Astoria 38’ diesel pusher motorhome. It has a 300 Cummins engine that has been diagnosed with a turbocharger that had failed and the actuator will only open 64%, also the manifold gasket is leaking at the #6 cylinder. The Cummins dealer wants $11,000 to repair. The engine runs good pulls a motorcycle trailer with ease. Do I risk breaking down if I don’t get it fixed?

Tim

That does seam a bit hi for what you said. I think I would shop it around a little. Is this place going to replace the turbo with new? Or just replace the actuator?

The actuator is on the outside of the turbo. Look on You Tube there are several videos on them. 

Bill

As a point of comparison, three years ago the turbo was replaced in my 2009 Fleetwood Discovery at a cost of $6,000.  It was done by Mainline Truck in Bedford (Cleveland), Ohio.  I have no doubt it's higher now, but I doubt it would be $11,000.

I had the exhaust manifold replaced on my Cummins ISC and the bill was #3,000. During this work the turbocharger must be removed anyway, which cuts down the labor bill, so i would agree that is rather high.

Locate a nearby HDT repair shop that will work on a MH engine instead of a Cummins dealer, local shops seem to be more reasonable.

We've had better luck with small independent diesel shops than with the big name places.

On 5/8/2023 at 2:35 PM, williames said:

Location of oil sender unit on cummings 350 engine

I would look at Youtube. 

Cummings 350 engine doesen't tell what engine.

Bill

Cummins Engine location pdf  However, if your engine is the ISB 6.7L engine, it is not shown. When you do not supply the needed information, we can only guess.

wildbill, there are no videos of a Cummings engine.

Edited by rayin