pfd701

Suspension Upgrade on Tandem Axle Travel Trailer

To All,

I seek advice regarding a possible upgrade to the suspension of my 2019 Grand Design Reflection travel trailer. This is a 33' unit with a GVWR of 9,495 lbs. It has tandem Dexter axles with GAWR ratings of 4,400 lbs. each. We've logged approximately 19,000 miles to date and are now planning a long cross country trip for later this year.

Is it worth replacing the stock suspension components with a heavier equalizer, heavier shackles, bronze leaf spring bushings and wet bolts? This would be a purely preventive measure, as I am not aware of any problems with the current system. I'm considering the following system: https://www.etrailer.com/qs/389028UQ. If such an up-grade would be worthwhile, are there any downsides, e.g., adverse pressure on leaf springs, affects on towing, etc.

I welcome any thoughts.

Thank you,

Paul

I have torsion Dexter axles so I have no leave springs. However, I’ve heard of enough instances where the bushings and/or bolts wear and fail and even the shackles. Many have made the modifications you mention and were glad they did. You may never have an issue if you do nothing but this may provide better reliability and peace of mind. I know of nobody that regretted the move.