This may be a state specific question. I live in Arizona. If I want to purchase an RV from a private individual that has a lien (i.e. still owes bank for RV loan) what is the best way to get a clear title? I would prefer to be handed the title when I hand over the check but seller would not have clear title until he pays off his bank loan (with the check I just handed him). Or maybe I have this all messed up? I do not want to have to trust the seller to deliver the title down the road.

Brad,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I suggest you contact the RV's lien holder and ask THEM how to handle the transaction such that you get clear title when you pay-- if it is local, no problem-- just go there to finalize the transaction. If the lien holder is out of town your bank may be of assistance in this as well once you determine from lien holder the payoff as of closing date (also note WHO you talked with and WHEN).

It is not uncommon to have your bank initiate a draft for clear title-- you pay your bank the money and they handle the transaction.

Brett

Hi Brad, I suggest you take your check to the lienholder, they will call and verify your funds, give you a lien release and your all set!...Really simple as that. Enjoy your knew RV..Becky

Many states also have a notarized section on the title for a lien holder to sign off for the lien release. Check the AZ title to see if that option is available to you. If not, you MUST have an original letter from the lien holder stating the lien is paid. Nearly every DMV in the country now requires an ORIGINAL letter for lien release. A copy will not suffice nor an email. Before handing over that check I would have both the singed off title and the lien letter in hand.