deanie8

Low voltage on display when operating jacks

I have a 2021 Forester 3011ds. When setting up in a new campground I get a “low voltage” display when trying to drop my jacks. I have to plug into shore power or run the generator to operate the jacks. I just replaced the lead acid batteries with AGM batteries but the problem persists. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Check the voltage at the battery terminals and at the pump motor.  Should be at least 12.4 volts at both locations or not more that 1/4 volt difference.  

Have the jacks always acted this way? If so, I would suspect under sized wiring to the pump motor. Take a volt meter and watch the voltage at the batteries while someone lowers the jacks. How much does the voltage drop?

4 hours ago, deanie8 said:

The voltage at the batteries is 13.6V, but I don't know where the pump motor is located.

13.6V is charging voltage not actual battery voltage. 12.7 would be a fulley charged battery. 

"Does anyone know why this is happening?" Yes jack systems draw a lot of curent. I like to be pluged into shore power before I run my jacks or slides.

Bill

15 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

13.6V is charging voltage not actual battery voltage. 12.7 would be a fulley charged battery. 

"Does anyone know why this is happening?" Yes jack systems draw a lot of curent. I like to be pluged into shore power before I run my jacks or slides.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I wasn't aware that the jack system drew a lot of current.

18 hours ago, rossboyer said:

Many manufacturers of jacks state the engine should be running, so that voltage and current are at maximum. 

We do leave the engine running while operating the jacks, thanks.

15 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Bill

Looks like we're going to keep doing what we've been doing until I do some testing on the wire size.

20 hours ago, dons2346 said:

Have the jacks always acted this way? If so, I would suspect under sized wiring to the pump motor. Take a volt meter and watch the voltage at the batteries while someone lowers the jacks. How much does the voltage drop?

No they haven't, only about 50% of the time. I'll try your volt meter check when lowering the jacks. Thanks