Starlingt

Tires

Recently purchased a motorcoach and was told by several tire service dealers as well as the Motorcoach dealer that valve stem extensions were not a good idea as they have real problems with them leaking. Looking at the valve stems on the rear dual wheels, it look like a major chore to check air presure let alone add air on the road. Most service stations don't have the air chuck with the reverse fittings to access the rear duals. Any ideas?

Several years ago, I installed the braided tube-type extenders and can verify that they were a continual source of leakage before I finally removed them. I just recently had a similar discussion with my tire guy regarding extenders for our current motorhome. He did not recommend them, but instead recommended gator caps. These allow you to check the tire pressure and adjust the pressure without having to remove caps. He said they were very popular with commercial truckers. I accepted his advice and had six gator caps installed. They replaced the existing valve stem caps and only cost about $1,50 each. Unfortunately, I cannot yet verify how well they work.

Several years ago, I installed the braided tube-type extenders and can verify that they were a continual source of leakage before I finally removed them. I just recently had a similar discussion with my tire guy regarding extenders for our current motorhome. He did not recommend them, but instead recommended gator caps. These allow you to check the tire pressure and adjust the pressure without having to remove caps. He said they were very popular with commercial truckers. I accepted his advice and had six gator caps installed. They replaced the existing valve stem caps and only cost about $1,50 each. Unfortuanately, I cannot yet verify how well they work.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into that. Thanks again for responding

I've used the extensions for the inside dual for several years and have not had the leakage problem. I also use a tire pressure monitoring system that lets me know if/when a tire is low. Beats getting down and fighting tire pressure guages to check the pressure. Yes, many tire shops do not recommend using the extension.

Guest Wayne77590

I had the stainless steel braided extensions placed on the rear inner duals. The driver side one leaked at the braid to fitting, not the pressure point. The tire went flat and i did not know it and may have driven on it for 20 miles or less. Although it was checked and found to be okay, on this trip it blew. It cost me $1000 to replace both tires. I had removed the braided extension before this trip and I will never put them back on. They make two types of extenders that the truckers use. .T.they are straight and made of either/or brass or chrome. Get the brass ones as they can be bent to be more centered and easier to get to. Some day I'll get the "Dually valves" installed.

We have been using the braided extenders on the inside duals for a little over a year and have not had a problem. We made the trip to Albuquerque for the convention earlier in the year and when we arrived back home the tire pressures were the same as when we left without having to adjust along the way. But I guess I just do not trust them because I check the pressures at every opportunity. I agree with Wayne that I probably will eventually get the Dually Valves installed.