tstaupe

Heat from Engine

When we are driving, quite a bit of heat is being generated by the engine and heating up the back of the coach. There also appears to be some soot on small areas of the carpet.

Do yo have any suggestions?

The first thing to check is the seal around the engine access hole in the  rear area of the coach.  My engine access is a rectangle that is fully tiled, just like the floor, with insulation on the part that serves as the floor and around the edges on the engine side.  It fits very snugly and I have no smoke, soot or odor coming from that area.

Don’t know what type of MH you have but I wouldn’t think there should be soot on the carpet. Depending on age, you could have a leak or crack in the exhaust.

A few years ago I too had black soot on carpeting, ceiling carpet and walls. After investigation, I discovered the back wall and the engine covering had separated, allowing exhaust to enter the living area. Since this MH also has a basement air conditoner, the circulation fan had blown exhaust soot throughout the MH. After patching all leaks into the MH living area I looked deeper and discovered the ISC exhaust manifold was broken into 3 pieces and leaking at 3 of the exhaust ports on the head.

FWIW, the ISC early years exhaust manifold is a well-known problem. Since it supports the entire weight of the turbo-charger and associated piping, it is prone to crack or break. The Cummins replacement is  much heavier and  eliminates the cracking , breaking problem.

The leaking exhaust manifold+ fuel leaks is the leading causes of DP engine fires.

The total cost to repair the leaks(me) into the living area and replace the broken manifold( HDT repair shop) with a new Cummins part was $3,000.

Edited by rayin