aztec7fan

batteries not charging when plugged in

on our 2003 National Dolphin, our house batteries are charging ok when driving, but when plugged in (20anp and 50amp), they do not charge.  any suggestions on what i should check?

thanks,

chris g.

I'm not sure about your particular make and model so check with the manufacturer.

With that said, try keeping the step switch in the "OFF" position.   The step motor is controlled by an electronic current limiter. When the step opens or closes, as it gets to the end, the current rises and stops the motor (not sure if rises or diminishes, but...) and even if the motor is stopped there is a constant current drain on the service battery that controls the steps.  So try keeping the step switch in the off position.  In my previous MH I had to use a stick to reach into the screen opening and push the switch.

Also check with the Mfg regarding the disconnect switches for the house and service batteries.  If the disconnect switch(s) are turned of there is no path for the converter to charge the batteries.  Again, please check with the Mfg regarding if what I said applies to your MH.

Happy trails.

If the coach battery bank is turned on/ connected so interior lights work, the only thing that keeps the coach batteries from charging is the inverter/charger is not turned on or the builtin charger is not working.

With the MH plugged into shore power measure coach battery voltage, if the charger is working you should read at minimum of 13 VDC. If the reading is less than 13VDC  check the inverters charger for output. You can find the wiring diagrams online.

thanks for the replies to my question.  after further troubleshooting, i found that tge twist-lock plug coming into my coach was loose, and only providing partial power when plugged into 50amp (and no power on 20amp).  tightened it, and all electrical issues resolved themselves.

thanks,

chris g.

20230525_193407.jpg