kwelp

2023 jeep grand Cherokee overland flat towing

Has anyone flat towed a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland?  Is the "death wobble" something to be concerned with on the 2023 model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I don't tow a '23 but do tow a '13 which is claimed to have the death wobble. In 50K miles, I have never had the wobble and my GC is bone stock

I have towed 5 Jeeps including 4 GC, one Gladiator, 2 were/are Overlands - including current 2020 Overland have been great tow vehicles with no issues for approx 100,000+ miles towing. Just be absolutely positive of following the set procedure for towing.... simple but positively required.

Edited by whiteeagle

My only negative thing to add is do not get a GC with the air suspension. Not from a towing standpoint but from a maintenance point. If the air system goes bonkers, it is an expensive fix

I’ve been towing a 2017 grand Cherokee since 2017. I’ve only had it happen once making a right hand turn at a slow speed when I first started.  
I follow the instructions but since then also leave the key farb in the center cupholder. It makes the car think I’m in it. Of course I take it out when we stop. I use the invisible brake system. For me, it works.

Edited by popeyeisme
Punctuation

On 5/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, dons2346 said:

Welcome to the forum. I don't tow a '23 but do tow a '13 which is claimed to have the death wobble. In 50K miles, I have never had the wobble and my GC is bone stock

And you probably never will since the death wobble didn't show up till the 2016 model year when the switch to the electric steering.

Edited by cwswine

On 5/24/2023 at 8:14 AM, kwelp said:

Has anyone flat towed a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland?  Is the "death wobble" something to be concerned with on the 2023 model?  Any and all comments would be appreciated.

The 2023 has the Anti Wobble Harness built in so no you won't get the wobble.  The bad news is it has host of other problems towing too many to discuss here.  I would head over the IRv2 and there is a thread on there with hundreds of messages about the problems towing the 2022 and 2023 Grand Cherokee and Grand Cherokee L.  I had a 2017 and had the wobble and now have a 2022 that the wobble has been fixed and after reading the thread on IRV2 I will not even set mine up to tow just not worth the hassle.  I picked up a Jeep Wrangler for towing.  Here is the thread on IRV2 with 350+ comments and does say the "L" but the NON "L" is having the same problems.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/new-grand-cherokee-l-flat-tow-547326.html

On 5/25/2023 at 7:54 AM, popeyeisme said:

I’ve been towing a 2017 grand Cherokee since 2017. I’ve only had it happen once making a right hand turn at a slow speed when I first started.  
I follow the instructions but since then also leave the key farb in the center cupholder. It makes the car think I’m in it. Of course I take it out when we stop. I use the invisible brake system. For me, it works.

It is their luck of draw I guess.  I also had a 2017 and towed problably 5000 miles and never had a problem but in the same day it did it twice within couple hours.  The month later it did it and the guy behind pulled over and said that was shifting side to side and lifting the wheels off the ground.  I brough it to Jeep and they found cracks in radiator shroud and suspect possible frame damage and  they called Jeep and Jeep said to stopping towing it 4 down and tow with all wheels off the ground.  They noted that in the maintenance records of my Jeep.  I stop towing it.

Edited by cwswine