Sign in to follow this  
dstand534

Extended Service Plans

Does anyone have any comments regarding extended service plan carriers and experience you have with them? I am a new member and new rver and do not have a history with any. I am looking at purchasing a contract with one and would like to have your input. Thanks, David Standridge, Taos, NM

I like having an extended service contract. You can read many threads about how if you just save the money you will be better off, or how you can fix things yourself. My MH is currently in service because the digital dash display failed. The part alone, rebuilt, is quoted as $1400. My co-payment will be $50. Of course while in the shop I will get brakes and new batteries, and replace my shocks, so I don't even what to think about how much it will cost to bail out my rig. At least I will get air-miles.

On a previous rig I had to have the transmission replaced. Again, my cost $50.

There are rules, and they MUST be followed to the letter. Prior authorization, accredited repair facility, etc.

It works for me.

Just my opinion.

I'm sorry I didn't comment on this topic earlier, but I was on vacation and when I got back I couldn't log onto the forum. Anyway, I have had some experience with the extended warranty that I purchased with my pre-owned Monaco Cayman. I purchased a contract through the dealer with the Phoenix American Warranty Company out of Miami, FL. They also go by the name Guardian Warranty. First, their main objective is to pay as little as possible for any warranty repairs, including not allowing for factory reconditioned parts, sufficient labor to complete repairs and replacement of any parts that may be 'marginal' but have not failed, regardless if their failure would cause potential dangers to you, your family and your coach. Their Customer Service should be called "Company Protection Service" since they make no effort to help you as the client or customer. They are rude, always adversarial and secretive in everything they do. You are completely left out of the 'loop' until you find out that you have to pay any amounts they refuse to pay. They are totally inflexible in their treatment of claims. They offer no substantiation or clarification of what they pay for or don't pay for. AVOID this extended warranty company under all circumstances. The last garage I used said they had good experiences with a warranty company called Easy Care, but I have no idea who they are or even if the name is correct. When I get my next extended warranty I plan to do a lot more research before I pay thousands of dollars for any service. Especially important is reading all of the conditions of the warranty and have the dealer summarize any questions in writing. Hope this helps.

Also late getting in on this. I had extended service from Star on my Damon and from Good Sam on my current Southwind. I never collected anywhere near what I paid. I traded the Damon before the mfg warranty was up at 3 years (had no trouble reclaiming 2 years remaining on my extended warranty). The only claim I made on the extended was for basement storage latches and they were glad to buy me all new for $100, plus labor of another $100 or so.

On the Southwind all the major problems were covered under mfg warranty and I have put away the premium for renewal a year ago. A review of what is covered and not in the contract, shows that any major failure is likely to fall outside the coverage regardless of what they advertise. JMHO after spending thousands for the warranty.

I purchased a warranty from the selling dealer called first extended service corporation. The policy seems quite good for the price except as we learned later service must be performed with the selling dealer unless you are 100 miles away from said dealer. We discovered the dealer was terrible, several visits to repair the same item which we finally went somewhere else to have it repaired at our cost. When you schedule an appointment and the dealer knows you have a warranty, he tells you that he is very busy and will schedule you in 4 to 5 weeks.

We didn't do our home work, fortunately california has a prorated insurance policy law, and we received most of our insurance premium refund.

Desmo

Hi all,

I have an extended warranty through National Warranty of Florida. I've had 4 claims. They were all paid quickly to my satisfaction and the shop's amazement. Each claim was paid before I left the shop, basically the same day. Their contact information is 888-756-5529 or 800-439-4861. My claims have added up to about what I paid for the policy. For me, I'd rather not have any claims at all. But, coaches do have troubles and for that I'm thankful I have the policy.

I bought the EZ Care extended warranty with the purchase of my new coach in 2007. It was my first ever RV... I had no idea what I was doing... and didn't want to get stuck with big repair bills.

They have been great. I think I've had 4 claims already and my dealer is now working with them to get authorization for repair of HWH jacks, gas furnace and a couple of minor things following our cross country loop over this past year. It's not that there's a problem with authorization but we full time so just dropped off the coach for a day of diagnostic work and picked it up that afternoon. My dealer is ordering parts and getting authorization for me to bring the coach back in following Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure if I'll buy another one or not but EZ Care has been great. I'm also fortunate in that I made a conscious decision to buy my coach AND extended wty from a local dealer and they've taken end to end ownership of any problems I've had. Since I plugged EZ Care (which I think is owned by Ford?) I'll plug my dealer too... Village RV in Roseville, Ca.

I'll report back after these pending repairs. I don't expect problems but my remote door and bay locks have failed and the vendor is no longer in business so the coach needs to be retrofitted with another mfgrs system. I may be pushing the envelope with this one but when my original Winegard Sat Dish died and parts were no longer available, EZ Care paid $1700 toward to purchase of a new HD Slimline!

Rick