bigben6969

Cat 350 run hot !

First I would make shure your coolant is at the proper level. Then make shure the radiator and CAC are clean and air can flow through easily. Next when you slow on a hill manually downshift till you can accelerate in that gear. Hold it near max RPM till you crest the hill. 

Bill

Thanks for the reply. The coolant is good and the radiator I have clean it 2 times. had someone say the fan clutch could be bad.

A few years ago I posted the procedure I use as recommended by Freightliner. If you didn't cut a hole in the bottom of the fan shroud, the sandwich of radiator, cac and transmission cooler probably isn't clean. After cleaning from the insided for about an hour, it took 3 hours of easy pressure washing from the outside before water was clear draining from the bottom hole. Once a year thereafter cleaning, I never had any issues with overheating even traveling from Phoenix to Flagstaff. 

An elderly Service Support employee of Freightliner at a Gillete convention told me to add the hole and pressure washer procedure that I detailed in a post here about 4 years ago. Maybe it was longer ago. I could not drive 65mph without the check engine light error. After that cleaning I never had the temperature gauge go above straight up. It use to go to about 2:00. The next trip to Gillette, I didn't have any troubles with the hills or mountains.  

In addition to Ross's excellent advice, I use household air conditioning foaming coil cleaner that says "safe for aluminum". It sprays on then foams and pushes its way into the fins and crevices of the radiators. Then washes away with a water hose, my pressure washer is too strong to use on radiator fins.

I haven't tried it, but looks like sound advice. Cost may be a factor. Regarding pressure washer, the statement to use a fan spray and a distance of about 3 feet is based on what Freightliner told me. But higher pressure washers may need to use bigger fan and/or stand back further as long as fins don't get bent. 

Edited by rossboyer

12 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Trust but verify whatever cleaning product you use is safe to use on aluminum.

Exactly! The best example of that is, Simple Green is not safe for aluminum according to the label; Simple Green Extreme is safe for aluminum according to the label.

10-4 I am looking for the post now thanks. I do have some coal cleaner need to check to see if its safe. Rossboyer  that exactly what it doing around 65 and over and up an incline.