brucehelen@charter.net

Rough Ride on Damon

Let's start at the beginning:

What chassis?

What are the GAWR's (on plaque by driver's area)?

What are actual axle weights?

Is tire pressure set to tire manufacturer's recommendation (plus, perhaps 5 PSI as a safety reserve) based on the heavier wheel position on each axle-- all tires on an axle carrying the same PSI?

How many miles on it?

Brett

gross weight 20,500. ford chassis, 6000 miles the panel on the door says 80 the tires say 85 i set them all at 85.

The PSI on the sidewall of the tire is PSI IF it is carrying its maximum load (also on the sidewall).

The PSI on the GVWR tag is correct IF each axle is loaded to its GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Ratiing).

Your next step is to weigh each axle (or better yet, each wheel position). Then, go to your tire manufacturer's PSI/load chart for your tires. That gives you the minimum PSI for that weight. Most suggest adding 5 PSI to that minimum as a safety reserve.

Condensed version is that you MAY be well over-inflating the tires. No way to know without weighing. And over-inflated tires is a sure-fire way to get a rough ride.

Brett

Without weighing it and then going to the tire manufacturer's PSI/load chart, NO ONE can tell you the correct PSI.

That includes Ford dealers, tire dealers, RV manufacturers, etc!

Brett

On a recent trip to Sacramento I noticed a bouncier than normal ride. However, not having driven the MH for awhile I didn't remember what normal entailed. To make the story short, the front wheels were out of balance and one tire was severely misshaped from bouncing. I replaced the worst tire in Sacramento and the other 5 when back in LA. It now rides nice and smooth. This may not solve your problem but a careful inspection of the tires might be in order.

As Brett said, weigh each axle [each tire if possible] then look up your tire's chart and you will find the best pressure for your coach. Both front tire need to have the same PSI as well as all rear tires need to have same PSI.

As you stated you could have all problems rolled up in one. Balance {shaking in the steering wheel = front tires, shaking in your seat = rear tires are out of balance}, cupped tires {sign of tires out of balance}, bad shocks {front end will bounce}, and too much air pressure {rough/hard ride}. One thing you didn't mentioned was how the coach drove. Does it wander or pull {out of alignment}.

Good luck on finding your problem(s).

PLEASE, stop relying on anything other than weighing and setting PSI based on FACTS.

The OPINIONS of others are not relevant!

Brett