gjsatter@hotmail.com

Onan 7.5 DKD FJ

After it shuts down I can open the compartment and press the reset but and it will run for another ten min or so! Any ideas what would be causing it to trip the reset button? It is due for a maintenance; it now has two hundred hours on it - but it did ran good for the first 200/hr.

PS: first time posting anything - I have read some of fellow FMCA members post and got good advice before!

Thanks, Gil

Gil,

What are the symptoms when it quits?

Does it just die-- run perfectly one minute and shut off as if you hit the kill switch?

OR

Does it surge or give any other mechanical distress signs before quiting?

How much electrical load are you running-- one A/C, two, etc)?

Brett

With the gen set off press the stop button 3 times in 5 sec. and you should get the fault code on your gen set indicator lite. First level fault codes are 1 blink (shutdown high temp) 2 blinks (shutdown due to low oil pressure) and 3 blinks (other abnormal contition). There are secondary fault codes so check your owners manual. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the fast replies!

Brett,

It does not surge, it just shuts off as if you hit the kill switch!

Jimmy,

I tried pushing the kill button (the one I use to heat up the glow plugs) but got no response or flashes from the light on the start and kill switch (there is a blue light on the switch but no blinks).

Of course, I just went out and ran it for 15/min. with nothing turned on; it didn't even get warm. Then I turned on both air conditioners for another 15/min. - it ran fine, no shut down and as cool as if it had not been running?

Puzzled, Gil

The DKD series has a dual coil throttle solenoid on its fuel injection pump. If the throttle linkage wears or comes loose, it is possible that both the "pull-in" and the "continuous" coils could be energized at the same time for an extended period. This might trip the safety breaker. The electric fuel transfer pump could also be overheating due to scoring of its piston and cylinder and overamping the breaker.

See which one is warmer (or Hotter) and go from there.

JimL

I will pass this along from another generator expert when I asked him to look at this thread:

Agree with Jim. Probably solenoid sticking, pull in coil still running which will cause the breaker to trip in a few minutes.

DKD is not a current production machine, been a number of years since they made them. With 200 hours on it, could also be a gummed up electric fuel pump.

Brett