Sign in to follow this  
kymfontana

American Tradition

I currently own a 2000 American Tradition that has had very little maintenance issues over the years and has been an excellent coach, nevertheless is now a ten-year old coach. I am considering "upgrading" to a newer coach and have been informed about a 2008 Eagle with less than 10,000 miles, a 2006 Foretravel and even contemplated a trip to the Newell factory in Oklahoma. I realize these are three separate and distinct platforms but would welcome the forum's "feedback" regarding the above-referenced coaches.

Thank you.

Kym

I vote for the American Tradition! A coach that has had very few maintenance issues and is an excellent coach even at 10 years old is an excellent bargain. Consider what a new(er) coach is going to cost and what you could do to remodel your present coach and the costs in both cases. Unless the remodeling needed to modernize your present coach is very expensive, I would choose that route to take care of any age issues or concerns you have.

Weigh the above against the possibility that the new coach you purchase will give you the same maintenance record as the American Tradition. Many new coaches have many minor to major problems that have to be dealt with to get everything working properly. You will likely find a few things that don't work properly on any coach.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm thinking that one of the issues you may have is that certain CG's do not want a coach that is more than 10 years old in the park. Sometimes, that is unfortunate in that the older, 10 years, is in better shape than some of the newer models that have not been taken care of. If it's not broke, why replace it? If it were me, I'd either tell the CG that I'll send them a picture, or, it has just become a 2001 this year, and next it will graduate to a 2002. But only if all is in excellent condition. Of course, I'd also be itchin' for a newer coach.

Edited: Many RV'ers have to finance for 15 years, and some more. Wonder why the 10 year cut off for CG's. Just doesn't make sense.

I would love to trade you my 2003 Country Coach, but if I were you, I would keep what you have - that is an excellent coach. If the campgrounds fuss about the year, lie to them. If they catch you, say it was re-manufactured in (whatever date) so is like new. If your coach is well maintained, and I know it is from your posts, the issue will never come up, their "rules" will be satisfied.

I am normally painfully honest, but stupid rules press me a bit. Do you think they would turn away a re -manufactured 1950 Airstream, polished all over, new tires, etc. Of course not. Or, if they did, they are too stupid to be my neighbor in any case. ;*)

Guest BillAdams
I'm thinking that one of the issues you may have is that certain CG's do not want a coach that is more than 10 years old in the park. Sometimes, that is unfortunate in that the older, 10 years, is in better shape than some of the newer models that have not been taken care of. If it's not broke, why replace it? If it were me, I'd either tell the CG that I'll send them a picture, or, it has just become a 2001 this year, and next it will graduate to a 2002. But only if all is in excellent condition. Of course, I'd also be itchin' for a newer coach.

Edited: Many RV'ers have to finance for 15 years, and some more. Wonder why the 10 year cut off for CG's. Just doesn't make sense.

The 10 year old issue is so small that it might as well be ignored by all of those "real" RVers out there. There are a couple of very pricey, very high end parks that actually do try to enforce this regulation, but in all of the parks that we have encountered there has been a caveat that said something to the effect "10 years unless approved by management". Our 1988 Prevost has never once been questioned at any of these parks. However, if your RV is held together with bailing wire, covered in rust, has holes in the muffler, has primer instead of paint on the front quarter panel....well, you get the picutre....then your 10+ year old coach may be in jeopardy.

I'm with TButler. If you are happy with your current coach and it's floor-plan I would keep it. Put in new carpet/flooring, have all the furniture reupholstered, update the fridge, change the convection oven....whatever. Do the math. You will be 10's (100's) of thousands of dollars ahead of the game.

Now, if you want to trade due to a change in lifestyle or needs then we have to start a whole new topic.

Tom & Louise, Jack, Wayne and Bill: Thank you SO much for your feedback. I am, indeed, going to and "have" taken ya'lls advice since it was "unanimous!" Last week the coach was wet sanded, compounded and waxed ( I accused them of having it painted) the wheel hubs were acid washed and now look like mirrors, interior completely detailed. The decorator came yesterday and did things to the inside that only a person wearing that kind of scarf would do!!! It truly is amazing the transformation this coach has taken.

I'm off to the Cummins facility to have the engine and generator serviced. One last question: Tires: Michelin or Goodyear. I am leaning towards the Michelin even the cost is more.

Again, thank you Tom, Louise, Jack, Wayne and Bill. I would like to send all of you to dinner, so if you get a chance, my email is kymfontana@aol.com.

Kym Fontana

Guest Wayne77590

Some pictures of the face lift, please.

Do you have any "before and after?"

To answer your question, yes.  If you want to move up, my 14 American Eagle 45 T is for sale.

This thread is coming up on being 14 years old.🙃