brodick@shaw.ca

50-amp Extension Cord

Have searched archives for discussions on 50-amp cords in cold. What about in hot climes?

Have had occasions where there was 50-amp service but limited access, therefore necessitating a longer cord -- e.g., fairground at a race track.

Is there an optimum length for a 50-amp cord? Is there a maximum total length? Does Mr. Ohm get involved?

Any tips on a good vendor for a cord or cable and ends?

Wiring schematic on our coach shows shore power cord as 6/3 on a 50-amp service. Does this mean that the ground is NOT connected to anything?

Appreciate direction.

Yes, "Mr. Ohm" and his laws are certainly involved. The longer the run the larger the gauge wire that is needed.

For runs up to 100' you will be OK with 6/3.

And 6/3 DOES have two hots, a neutral AND A GROUND wire.

Brett

Several years ago Camping World had periodic sales on 30A and 50A extension cords. I picked up a 30' cord and a 15' cord that have been most useful. With our 35' on board cord, that gives us 80' of cord. I regularly use the 15'' cord at our daughters home where the outlet is about 10' out of reach with the on board cord. Having the 15' cord allows me to use less than the 30' cord when possible.

These are complete cords with sealed ends, very similar to the cord in your motor home. I think the 30' 50A cord was about $149 and the 15' 50A cord was $99 but I can't remember exactly. Watch for sales!

Update:

Camping World: (No brand mentioned) 30' 50 amp cord with handles $132.99 club price

Adventure RV: Camco 30' 50 amp cord (yellow handles) $109.99 plus shipping

Amazon.com: Camco 30' 50 amp cord (yellow handles) 135.41 free shipping.

These currently are the best prices I came across.

Many others seem quite attached to their cords since their prices were quite uncompetitive. There maybe a quality difference but in some cases, the cords were over $200

Personally, ordered two cords with Adventure RV plus a bunch of "more stuff" as George Carlin mused.

BTW, Adventure RV have a price reduction on the Progressive Industries Smart Surge 50 Amp so added one of those to the mix.

Disclosure: No affiliation with Adventure

I just received a 36' 50amp extension cord I ordered on eBay, from Adventure RV. It was $91.99 plus $19 shipping, for a total of $110.99.