rvpapa3@yahoo.com

Fire in HMC motorhome

My 1992 34-foot HMC (Hawkins) had an electrical fire. It started in the engine's electricial 24-volt system for engine system wires and was all under the engine and transmission. They found a burnt wire going to the Onan generator when they repair it. Could the engine and transmission have any internal damage?

To offer a heads up to everyone. I recently had a refrigerator fire..My unit is a Norcold 1201lrim which never had a recall. We were fortunate that we were in the motorhome at the time. The carbon monoxide alarm went off and I started checking and found that the wires on the refrigerator were burning. I was able to extinguish the fire using two fire extinguishers. This saved my MH from further damage.

It is my understanding(I got this from the insurance inspector) that presently there are 12 Norcold refrigerator fires in the state of Louisiana alone, that are waiting for an inspector from Norcold to review them. I have spoken to numerous people in campgrounds and at rallies they have had or have heard of fires with these units.

Needless to say insurance company will do there best to not have to cover these units. My MH is 5 years old and I am being told that it is out of warranty so if Norcold does not cover it then Progressive will not. So I am presently in a holding pattern waiting on the Norcold inspector to make a decision on my unit.

WPontiff

My 1992 34-foot HMC (Hawkins) had an electrical fire. It started in the engine's electrical 24-volt system for engine system wires and was all under the engine and transmission. They found a burnt wire going to the Onan generator when they repair it. Could the engine and transmission have any internal damage?

You do no state what drivetrain (engine and transmission) you have. 24 VDC is unusual in a motorhome of that size-- are you sure it isn't 12 VDC?

The amount of internal damage to the engine or transmission would depend on how hot particular areas got. It will also depend on whether they are electronic controlled engine/transmissions. If electronic, all electronic components will have to be checked carefully.

I would NOT attempt to start the engine until engine and transmission wiring is proven, as additional damage can be done.

Brett

I'm sorry it is a Gillig chassis 3208 cat engine, Allison 6 speed with toggle switch shifter.

Wow, never seen that one. The Cat 3208 was normally mated with a 4 speed hydraulic controlled Allison.

In later years, the Cat 3116 WAS paired with the Allison MD3060 6 speed.

And is it 12VDC or 24 VDC?

Brett