kymfontana

Goodyear vs. Michelin

My brother was also in the tire business for 40 years and also ran a Bandag recap shop for large truck/bus tires. He recommended I replace my 11R22.5 Toyos with Bridgestone R250 295/80 R22.5 and stay away from Goodyears. His choice would be Bridgestone first, Michelin second, and Goodyear third.

His logic was that Bridgestone has 1) similar ozone/UV repelling compounds (and they work best if you don't put tire shine on them); 2) a deeper tread depth and longer tread life, 3) the same or similar load rating, and 4) stronger casings that stand up to more abuse. His preferred used tire for recapping was Bridgestone, because of the casing, and he said it carried the most value in the used truck/bus tire market for that reason.

I replaced the Toyos with the Bridgestones 11,000 miles and a little over a year ago on our Coach and was amazed at the improvement in ride and handling. I was also able to lower the tire pressures from 120psi front, 110 psi rear, to 100 front and 90 rear. This helped the ride, but the different tire profile on the Bridgestones also helped the ride and handling. My Toyos were showing abnormal river wear on the tires by the time they 10,000 miles on them, and had to be rotated. The river wear continued up until I get rid of them at 31,000 miles. The Bridgestones, now at 11,000 don't show any abnormal river wear, so I don't plan to rotate them.

Since then a number of my friends with similar coaches have also replaced G670 Goodyears with the Bridgestone R250s and are very happy with them.

You might want to consider the Bridgestones instead of either Goodyear or Michelins.

I couldn't agree more. Once anyone put on the Bridgestones, they will never go back to the tread separating Goodyear or the explosive Michelin!!!! Besides the road noise is less and the ride will convince you!!!

We have 255/70R22.5's on our 36' HR Endeavor. We had quotes of around $3400 to replace the 6 tires. After some checking around we decided on Bridgestone R250ED, the quotes were still in the $3400 range. Went to Speedco, the oil change folks, spent $2300 and change for all 6 tires! We saved about $1000 and LOVE the tires. They ride and track very well.

I retired from the tire business after owning a tire store and have sold most brands of tires. The Michelins were never a consideration for my replacement. I had a Michelin Rep once tell me "Michelin has never made a defective tire". I had to call BS. With all the tires they have made I gotta believe that defective tires have left their factories. The attitude told me that Michelin just may not have the best after sale service, should there ever be a problem.

Speedco only deals with OTR trucks and diesel MHs. They are equipt and seem well trained. I have had great service from the one in Eloy, AZ with the tires at a great price as well as oil changes for the RV and the Onan.

Jack

I totally agree with all you say!!!!!

Guest Wayne77590

So what is the price everyone is paying.

I just paid $433.66 a piece for Michelin 255/80R-22.5 XRV's.

Does that sound about right?

So what is the price everyone is paying.

I just paid $433.66 a piece for Michelin 255/80R-22.5 XRV's.

Does that sound about right?

I was quoted just under $500 for Toyo 12R-22.5/16 M-111Z tires.

Sounds like you are doing OK

Jerry

I have a Dolphin on a W22 Workhorse chassis with 235-80r-22.5 XRV Michelin tires .I would like to replace them with Goodyear G670RV tires.

I was told Goodyear 245-75-22.5 tires will work.

Can any one verify this.

Having done autopsies on over 25,000 tires that were at the end of their life, I can assure you that few

people have the training or experience to make a statement that is much more than their personal opinion.

Might just as well ask if Ford or Chevy makes a better car. What you end up with is someone talking about their

experience with a 1995 Corvette while another talks about their 2000 F150.

Another thing to consider is that without detailed knowledge on the actual load, which roads you drove on at what

speed and what was the temperature etc, etc you have no way to be sure you are comparing equivalent service.

Based on my 40 years experience as a tire design and quality engineer, I can tell you that I have seen many tires

from each of the majors perform just fine and at the same time I have seen individual tires made by the same companies

suffer various “failuresâ€. Some and possibly most of these so called “failures†were the result of abuse and poor maintenance.

Remember: There is no such thing as a fail proof tire.

Re: what to buy.

If you know your real load for each position on your RV, and you select a tire size and load range that is capable of

carrying your individual loads, and have included at least a 5 psi cushion, and run a TPMS and never run less than your

personal minimum inflation, you should be able to go the expected 5, 7 or 10 years with little or no problems.

But you can also run over a nail as you leave your tire dealership and have a flat at zero miles usage.

Select your brand based on your expectations to be able to receive service and quickly and easily obtain a replacement if needed, as you travel across the USA.