Rambler

Replacing Slide Seals

I have a 2001 Pace Arrow Vision 35R model on Ford F53 chassis. I am going to replace my slide outer seals in the near future. I'm wondering how to handle getting around the slide end? Is there a way to remove the ends to gain access to the seals?

One side is open behind the drivers seat, but the back end is near a wall and I can't get to the seal.

Any advise would be helpful.

Rambler

Delaware

Guest Wayne77590

Rambler,

I'm not sure how your coach is set up, but on my present one (and past RV's) there are actually two sets of "seals." As you are standing on the outside looking at the end of the slide there is a "wiper seal." It's main purpose is to wipe excess moisture from the sidewall when retracting it. It does afford some protection from the elements but is not the seal that keeps in/out heat/cold.

The other seal is difficult to see, and easier to feel. With the slide retracted you can run your hand around the edge of the slide when you are standing inside. This is the seal that butts up against the wall when the slide is fully extended and keeps the moisture/heat/cold from getting inside.

Which seal are you going to replace? If it is the one that butts up against the walls, I'd leave it to the professionals. If it is the wiper seal, there should be a piece of trim that once removed allows access to the part of the wiper seal embedded in the grove.

Again, I'm not up on the Pace Arrow. I'm just generally speaking of how the seals work.

My 2003 Rexhall came with two slides and they both leaked when new. The bedroom was the worst. The bedroom slide was taken clear out of the coach to square up the hole in the coach that was 3/8 inch out of square. they returned it with only 1/8 inch out of square but it no longer leaks.

The living room slide was repaired by pumping some kind of material in behind the seal to force it outward to make better contact with the slide. no further problems with slideout leaks.

Bebop

Thanks for the advise.

I was talking about inner seal. I was thinking about putting something behind the present seal to make it fit tighter when in open position.

Thank Again

Rambler

Guest Wayne77590

Rambler,

I don't know anything about the Pace, but on my coach the slide stop can be adjusted to make the slide a little tighter. Be careful and don't turn the wrong nut. Ask some other users, or a dealer technician how to do it. Mine was very simple, but there are several different nuts that could be turned, and only the lock nut and one other was necessary.

Just a thought.

p.d., some 303 protectant spray may help the seal return a little to its former shape.

Thanks for the advise.

I was talking about inner seal. I was thinking about putting something behind the present seal to make it fit tighter when in open position.

Thank Again

Rambler

There are many different sizes of these seals. Maybe you could get a larger size. Here's a link to just one manufacturer.