ronandanne@power-net.net

Towing 2010 Mariner/Escape

I have read all the problems experienced with the 2009 models of the Mariner/Escape and am wondering if anyone is having problems with the 2010 model year. We bought a new Mariner in May this year. Had a Blue Ox base plate and wiring installed. We use a Brake Buddy with it. We have been on a couple 3 hour trips with no problems. I am wondering if they made a change to prevent the previous problems or if we should expect problems at any time now.

UPDATE:

I stopped at our local Ford dealer today. Our Mariner already had the recall, trans computer reprogramming, installed prior to sale. It was also built late enough to have the newer dip stick (adjusted fluid level) installed at the factory. The rest of the technical service bulletin just repeated the instructions in the owner's manual; run engine for 5 minutes prior to and after towing, stop every 6 hours and run engine for 5 minutes, when running engine hold brake down and shift through all the gears and back to neutral. I guess we'll just trust that Ford knows what they're doing and if they don't the repairs will be on their dime.

I would still like to hear any other owners experiences with towing 2010 Escapes/Mariners.

I pick up my 2010 today from the dealer after a week. They had to put in a new transmission. We had noticed a leak and oil did not show on the dipstick. I added almost a quart and went to the dealer in Cambridge MN. He said "you towed from Cal to here and overheated the transmission. He said he would try and get Ford to pay for a flush. I told him we had been on the road since May 1st and try to go by the 2-2-2 rule. ((Go 200 miles get there by 2 and stay 2 days). I had done the 5 minute routine and did not go 6 hours a day. He then gave us a loner car and said he would have to check with Ford. Later in the day called and said they would replace the trans with one with new parts to prevent the problem from happing again.. We have about 7500 miles driving and 3500 towing. I have read where 09's have had 2 and 3 trans and I hope this does not happen to ours as we are full timers roaming the lower 48.

We had the reprogram of the transmission in Washington in June. It started shifting different after that with hard shifts and slips, dealer said that was due to low fluid but I told him it was fine then.

I will see what happens and will stop and run on 3 hour intervals and maybe run 10 minutes before towing.

2010 escape with 4cyl auto.

Bil :rolleyes:

The lowered fluid level will not fix the problem. We made it a little further in our 2009 Escape this time, but in the end, the result was the same - transmission number 3 did not make it back from Oregon. It is totally fried and back at the Mesa dealership that we bought it at, waiting for the Ford engineer to come look at it. Which will mean absolutely nothing. At least we had it documented in Oregon that the fluid level was correct for towing prior to starting home. (We did the same thing before we went up to Oregon). The transmission overheated on the way up to Oregon, but did not completely fry the transmission, so the Eugene dealer told us that everything was fine. We had to have some solenoids replaced after the engine light came on, but they insisted that this was unrelated. We are attempting to get Ford to buy back the car, but don't expect much luck, since we bought a certified pre-owned rather than a new car and we have had it for a little over a year now.

2010 and 2011 Escapes still have the same transmissions and same "procedures" to solve the problem.

Update - they have replaced the transmission for the 3rd time. We have been assured (in writing) that my transmissions with a build date after February 8, 2010 have a modified baffle assemble that should solve the problem. However, we are still required to lower the fluid level and do all the other things (stop every 6 hours or 300 miles - although in our experience, we stop way more frequently than that). Only time will tell. We are still trying to get Ford to buy it back, as we have no confidence in it and are tired of the stress this puts on our trips. If they could really assure us that the problem was fixed, we would be happy, but I can only keep monitoring to see if others are having problems or not.

Regarding towing the 2010 Ford Escape. We purchased a new Escape in February of 2010 with the 6 cyl engine. We had our first transmission burnup after about 4000 miles of towing. Ford replaced the transmission and the new transmission failed after about 200 miles of towing. Ford again replaced the transmission and I am currently working with Ford customer service to our problem.

The customer service rep suggested installing a REMCO pump and Ford has tacitly recommended this in a TSB. The cost is about $1500-$2000. Has anyone installed a REMCO yet and how has the pump worked. If Ford is recommending the REMCO I feel Ford should pick up the cost because this car is advertised as being towable without any modifications to the drive train.

If anyone wants to contact me direct my e-mail is Jerryr_hattox@msn.com .

UPDATE: Ford has installed the Remco transmission pump on my Escape. The work was completed Tuesday Nov 15. the deal we worked out was, Ford paid for and installed the Remco on the Escape. It's my responsibility to get my Motorhome (2002 Monaco Windsor) rewired and have the controls installed. The dealer transmission tech was very knowledgable on the transmission but had never installed a Remco before. He took only 4 hours to install and wire the pump in the Escape. The RV service manager said it would take about 3 hours to install and wire the control in my motorhome. When we tow to Texas from CAlifornia in January, I'll post an update on how well it works.

With all of the posts on these Forums about problems with Ford transmissions, specifically the 6F35 model as used in the Escape, Fusion, Mariner and Mazda Tribute I would strongly encourage anyone considering buying a new or used 2009 model or later to buy another brand. I bought a new 2009 Escape. Ford has stonewalled me on the 2 failures I had (the first after about 18000 miles of towing, the second about 1000 miles later) and refused to buy it back.

I have posted more detail elsewhere in these forums. I made at least 5 requests to Ford to buy it back and they refused. They didn't even offer any compensation for miscellaneous expenses. I had to sell it at a substantial loss. From what I've learned if you experience 4 failures, Ford will buy it back under the Lemon Laws. I wasn't willing to go through the agony and wasted time to experience two more failues before asking Ford to buy it back. The average repair time is 2-3 weeks. It took the dealer 2-1/2 weeks to make the second repair on mine. That's a big chunk out of a 4-6 week trip. We only do long distance travel, 4-6 weeks at a time and can't live with an unreliable tow car. We'd end up marrooned in a distance city for "X" weeks killing time.

I sent personal letters and e-mails to Alan Mulally, Ford CEO with no luck. I did get a call back from a Ford engineer who told me he was going to take another look at my claim but he abruptly notified me that there was nothing he could do. Apparently when he looked into my case he got his hand slapped.

Well it finally happened. With just over 24,000 miles on the car with just about 2000 of that being towed, the transmission fried. As with everyone else, the dealer is not aware of any problems with this tranny being towed. When I mentioned a baffle was needed in the tranny the service manager had a "baffled" look on his face and said the only TSB he knew of was the one to lower the transmission fluid to just above the "add" mark. If anyone has any TSB numbers concerning this problem or the part # of the baffle retrofit please reply. Thanks.

I recently setup my 2010 Escape for towing. I followed the owners manual regarding flat towing. On our maiden voyage to Long Beach, Ca. the transmission blew. We had it towed to the local Ford dealer for help. The vehicle is still under warranty. Ford wanted to see any service records I had on the vehicle. Standard procedure for vehicles still under warranty. I had the tranny serviced in my hometown by a Speedee service shop and had put about 3000 miles prior to towing.The service manager at Ford was suspicious that it did not comply with the Ford transmission specs. They stated that they were going to have the fluid analyzed by a lab. After 2 1/2 months of delays we still haven't received an answer from Ford. After reading all the problems with the transmissions blowing, I find it hard to believe that a different brand of transmission fluid could cause this problem. When I called Ford Customer Care Center I was told by the relations manager handling my case, if the fluid does not comply with Ford specs, the transmission warranty is void.

I've towed about 3000 miles now without a problem, but I take some extra precautions that may help others. I had a transmission repairman show me the best place to measure the temperature with an IR gun (a deep crevice on the driver's side). I experimented, and found that towing over 62 MPH raised the temperature to over 250 degrees after a couple of hours (300 degrees is the danger point for me). Airflow is obviously a problem, so I tow with the hood open to the safety latch with a plastic door brace to keep it tight, and a steel safety cable just in case the safety latch fails. I now tow at 58-60 mph, and can go for 4-6 hours with the temperature staying below 250, and most of the time below 200. As I understand it, heat is the issue, as the fluid expands and blows seals. I also stop every 200 miles max and run through the gears for five minutes or more. It's a pain, but so far the car has performed well.