skyking8

Adding to Favorites

In the general scheme of things, this is way down on the important issues lists, but I was 'just wondering..."

When one goes to add a website to their favorites list, what does the Name line come up with more than a few words to identify the site? I'm not singling out FMCA, it just so happened that I added it to favorites on a new computer. There are 18 total words that come up in the default name block. Since your favorites list is just a tool for a quick jump to a site, I don't think anyone adds a site to their favorites list without cutting the name down to one or two easily identified words.

Guest Wayne77590

The web site being browsed can add any context to appear as a book mark. An example would be to book mark this thread and it will come up with "FMCA Community." However, when you click on it you will be directed to this particular thread. It is in the design of the web site/forum on how bookmarks will appear on computers. Those that do not have a particular way that they want their page to display will typically use the URL of the web page. That can be a long string of information that can be meaningless when revisiting the web site at a later time. (At least for my memory.)

This web site has a "Meta" tag "Title" of "FMCA Community. The Meta tag "Title" controls what is displayed when you insert a book mark. You can see a set of Meta tags for any site by clicking on "view source," normally located on the tools drop down menu. If there is not Meta tag "Title" you would most likely see that long string URL.

I hope I explained it.

Edited: I just search for, and found, this information:

Meta Tags

Hope it helps some more.

Guest jayclawson

The words used in the title or Meta Data of a web site are "Keywords" and help with SEO (Search Engine Optimization). This allows FMCA to come up higher in a search. Most websites will have an SEO strategy and use multiple words.

Guest Wayne77590

Meta Keywords are for search engines, correct, but Meta "Title" is for the title and what is displayed when you bookmark it. Click on "View Source" and the Meta Tags will be at the beginning, typically right after the word Here are the Meta Tags for FMCA:

<META name=robots content="index, follow">

<META name=keywords content="fmca,motorhome,motorhomes,motor home,motor homes,motorhoming,rv,rving,motorcoach">

<META name=title content="FMCA Community">

<META name=author content=FMCA>

<META name=description content="Family Motor Coach Association - the motorhome owners club offering discounts, travel services, FMC magazine, rallies and conventions, fun and fellowhsip … Join our Family.">

<META name=generator content="Joomla! 1.5 - Open Source Content Management">See the link I posted for a description of each tag. I just noticed that they use a Meta Tag Generator to generate the Meta Tags for this web site. Looking at the Keyword Tag I think they could add quite a few that would be hit upon. If you ever notice when you search for an RV Park, that many items come up that are really not an RV park. This is because they have blanketed their Meta Tag Keyword with non related stuff to their web site, one being the key word "RV Park." I have found this to be true for a lot of city park offices - too bad.