LoneStarBQ

Thinking of Moving Up to Class A

I currently have a 2008 Jayco 30ft. F350 Greyhawk. My wife and I have threee kids, 14, 11 & 10. It gets 6 to 10 mpg depending on the wind. We tow a 2010 Honda CRV. We are thinking of moving up to a Class A, but still need the room to sleep everyone. We have been looking at the Discovery 40G with bunk beds and the Allegro Red 38QB with bunks. My thought was that if I moved up, I need to look at a diesel pusher (quiter driving, more comfortable ride, generator in the front for a more comfortable sleep). The economy seems to be in a place where you can get some good deals right now.

Our Jayco is a great little MH, but has NO (ABSOLUTELY NO) storage especially on the outside. My other gripe is that the tank capacities are so minimal, we can't go to the football game without needing to re-fill the fresh and dump the grey.

The advantage of a Class A seems to be a higher frame therefore much more storage underneath for items and tanks. Other than the storage and the tank capacities, it has been a good little MH.

I realize this seems like a huge leap, but it's just what I'm eyeballing right now. We have been campers for a long time. Pop-up to 5th Wheel, to MH.

I have read discussions on Diesel vs. Gas and Class A vs. C. After reading these, I'm wondering if I should consider a gas Class A? Obviously, we are not retired and probably use our MH 12-20 times a year. We do stay at State Parks quite often.

Any thoughts?

Guest BillAdams

If you want to trade you are going to have to find a better excuse than the economy! While dealers are dealing on new, they also realize that used units are worth much less so your trade value will also be dramatically reduced.

Are you prepared to spend an extra $100,000 to $200,000 for a unit you use so seldom? Any possible savings will be long lost in the initial expense and on going depreciation.

With all of that said, if your current RV simply cannot meet your current/future needs then now is as good a time as any to find a unit that will. Don't try to justify what we do as saving anything for any reason, but if you want to have a better RVing experience than you are currently having, just pony up.

So, we're talking college in 4, 7 and 8 years. The 14 year old will be driving in two years and start working a job to support a car so now you are just sleeping 4. You get the idea. We waited until the kids were out of college and we were retired before we took the big plunge. At that point our finances were much more stable and predictable. "It's a great little motor home."

You know your finances, consider what you want and what you need. Keep the Greyhawk, move to a gas class A or go all in for a diesel class A.

Guest Wayne77590

It's not "moving up," it's a "life style change."

Tom's right. The kids will outgrow the camper and you will be left with just you and the wife. If you do change life styles, go conservative until the right time.