jkfilson

House Batteries

I currently have three 12v deep cycle batteries for my house batteries. They are approaching the end of their useful life and I would like to replace them with 3 new 12v batteries rather than go the 6v route. Which type of battery would be best? We typically travel six months a year and dry camp for up to two weeks at a time during our travels.

I currently have three 12v deep cycle batteries for my house batteries. They are approaching the end of their useful life and I would like to replace them with 3 new 12v batteries rather than go the 6v route. Which type of battery would be best? We typically travel six months a year and dry camp for up to two weeks at a time during our travels.

Not sure how you would define "best".

Best independent of cost: Deep cycle AGM batteries-- expensive, but accept a charge faster than wet cell batteries (less generator run time), do not require you to check water level (Absorbed Glass Mat construction), have a lower self-discharge rate, etc. I have used this technology in our sail boats and RV's for close to 20 years. This is the brand I use: http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/

Best performance/$ are golf cart batteries (6 volt deep cycle batteries wired in series to make 12 VDC batteries).

There are 12 VDC deep cycle batteries available, but they are rare. Most you will find are "compromise" batteries-- marine starting AND deep cycle batteries. They are a second rate choice for deep cycle work, particularly dry camping as you do when compared with true deep cycle batteries.

If you are going to stay 12v, I would find the biggest AGM deep cycles that you can.

East Penn Manufacturing makes Deka as well as other brands. Lifeline also has

good ones, you'll find them mentioned in marine applications quite often as well.