Sign in to follow this  
rlking

Wash. SR 14 or Ore. I 84

Question

I'm heading up to Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada from So. Cal. Not in any hurry. Just wondering about Wash, SR 14 vs Ore. I 84. I'll be driving a 32 ft. gasser, and prefer to stay off the interstates unless no better alternative. Thanks for any recommendations.

Will not be towing the Jeep.

Bob

2 answers to this question

As for me, I-84 would be a better choice than WA SR14. I-84, although a freeway, generally is not heavily traveled and the scenery from Portland to The Dalles, OR is outstanding. The interstate is well maintained too. WA SR14 is mostly a two lane highway and is heavily traveled, especially between Vancouver and Stevenson, WA. And, depending on the time of year, there are lots of farm trucks on SR14 that makes for backed up traffic. Since you will be driving a motor home, you will back up traffic too. So, for my peace of mind, I would stick to the interstate all the way to Merry Hill, WA, then cross the Columbia River and head north to Yakima, WA, Ellensburg, WA, Chelan, WA, Oroville, WA, cross the border and drive to Kelowna, BC, then east Baniff, Alberta. This probably more information than you wanted, but the bottom line is take I-84 rather than WA SR14.

I'm heading up to Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada from So. Cal. Not in any hurry. Just wondering about Wash, SR 14 vs Ore. I 84. I'll be driving a 32 ft. gasser, and prefer to stay off the interstates unless no better alternative. Thanks for any recommendations.

Will not be towing the Jeep.

Bob

Thanks for the reply juanclem. I should have looked at a broader view of the map before posting. We will driving up 97 to Biggs Junction where we can cross the river and take Wash. 14 or turn left to I 84 toward Umatilla.

Thanks again

Bob