juanclem1@msn.com

Auxiliary brake when towing 4 down

On my next trip from WA to S. CA, I will be towing 4 down for the first time an '08 GMC Canyon behind my '04 Monaco Cayman with an ISB 300 diesel pusher. I have been told by other RVers who have towed 4 down for years that there is no need to spend the money for an auxilliary brake in the Canyon. What advice would you give me?

Would you rather stop 10 feet before you hit something or after you have hit? I will continue to use my Brake Buddy because it has stopped me before I hit on at least two occasions.

WOW!

I am surprised that anyone would recommend towing a 3,700 pound vehicle without tow brakes.

Particularly behind a smaller DP/smaller engine. The ISB clearly has less braking HP than larger engines, so even with a much lighter toad, I would suggest auxiliary brakes.

Brett

WOW!

I am surprised that anyone would recommend towing a 3,700 pound vehicle without tow brakes.

Particularly behind a smaller DP/smaller engine. The ISB clearly has less braking HP than larger engines, so even with a much lighter toad, I would suggest auxiliary brakes.

Brett

I'll second Brett's comments. We towed a Colorado for 3 years (4wd quad cab) that had a cap on the box and a bed roller - weight was close to 4500 lbs. We used a Brake Buddy.

In some jurisdictions you will not be legal without a braking system. The weights vary but from what I can recall 2000 or 3000 lbs is usually the cut off. There is a list available that shows the requirements state by state and province by province (if I can remember which organization published it and the URL I'll post it - have not looked at it for a couple of years).

I'd suggest you check your owner's manual and you will likely find that the manufacturer rates its brakes for the GVWR, which is usually substantially less than the GCWR.

Grandriver

Thanks to you all for replying with great comments. The safety factor is of most importance. As I think back, the ones saying I didn't need an auxillary brake were those with much larger motor homes and power than mine. Brett, where will you be teaching a class for "RV dummies" that I could attend?

Thanks to you all for replying with great comments. The safety factor is of most importance. As I think back, the ones saying I didn't need an auxillary brake were those with much larger motor homes and power than mine. Brett, where will you be teaching a class for "RV dummies" that I could attend?

In Redmond, I will be moderating the Towing and Toad Brake Seminars, giving the Caterpillar Engine Maintenance and FMCA Forum Seminars (hope many of you will be able to attend the Forum Seminar-- a chance to put a face with a name) and serving on the "Ask the Expert" Seminar Panel.

Brett

I would have auxiliary brakes on anything I towed. We started with a tow dolly and a Pontiac Gran Prix. I made sure that tow dolly had a braking system. No matter how light the toad, an auxiliary braking system will stop you in less distance. It is a simple matter of physics, the greater braking power you have, the faster you will stop. There are factors other than brakes, tire condition and surface area in contact with the road also affect your braking ability. Both of these are enhanced with an auxiliary braking system. You will have four more tires in contact with the road and helping you stop. The surface area in contact with the road will be increased by the contact area of those four tires.

Finally there are factors that you can not control that affect braking, When the road is wet and slick, when the slope is steep and/or the traffic around the curve ahead is slowed or stopped, you will be thankful that you have all the braking power you can get.

juanclem~ The purpose of the auxiliary brake is to apply extended light breaking without brake fade and controls the vehicles down hill speed. You mentioned "canyon" so I would say yes, it's necessary to have a braking system, think of it as extra insurance for you and your family. I personally have a Blue Ox Patriot and really like the ease of installation and the fact that it's portable. Blue Ox is well known for their quality products and I like how they stand behind the product if there is a problem. Good luck to you.

Guest BillAdams

I can't believe that anyone, anywhere would recommend towing that size vehicle without an aux. braking system. You mention coach size. I drive a Prevost and the other day the air line to my M&G towed brake broke. We only had a short drive to our next location so we decided to go without and I would repair the air line upon arrival. Even though the trip was uneventful, the very first time I applied the brakes I realized that I was no longer going to be able to stop as quickly as before. The "push" from our tow vehicle was dramatically noticeable. Had I been in an accident and there had been no aux. braking system on my tow vehicle I would likely have been found responsible and then had to fight my way toward a different outcome in court. That's not something I have much interest in. If you have a coach with air brakes (almost all diesel coaches) then I would highly recommend that you take a look at the M&G tow brake system. If you don't or can't use M&G then I highly recommend that you immediately install an aux. braking system appropriate for your coach.