racecar882

Solar panel

I have a 2005 Bounder 32W that has a 5-watt solar panel on the front AC unit. The indicator light is not showing a charge. I'm looking for help diagnosing the problem. How do I check for output from the panel? How do I check if only the light is inop? Where does the wiring end up, at one of the batteries, the converter, fuse panel? A wiring diagram would help. Fleetwood won't help.

I had a Pace Arrow that had a solar panel on it with a charge light, so I'm going you the way I checked mine. There was a plug that disconnected the solar panel, that was on the panel for the A/C shroud that held the charge lamp. Basically the lamp was in series with one leg of the solar panel which would light up as current passed thru the circuit. You could disconnect the bulb and place a digital amp meter in series with the bulb to see if you are reading any thing. This would indicate the bulb could possibly be bad. Another test would be is to find the two wires coming out of the solar panel, and when the solar panel is in direct contact with the sun check and see if there is any voltage present with it disconnected from the system. Also on the first test make sure the solar panel is in direct contact with the sun. Being how your unit is 6 years old now (give or take a few months) the solar panel may be defunct. Any questions back channel me and I'll try to help. Good luck, Gene

Your little 5W panel is to trickle charge (maintain) the engine battery. Without a coach wiring diagram, where the wires go and how they are routed are anyone's guess. Without looking at the panel, it is hard to tell if it is a Crystalline type or a Thin Film type. A good Crystalline panel should last 20+ years so long as it isn't physically broken.

If you can follow the wire from the back of the panel, it sometimes dissapears inside the front A.C. unit. If so, there might be a connector there. Unplug the connector and put a volt meter on the two pins coming from the solar panel. You sould read 15-22VDC in full sun. If not, replace the panel. It should cost no more than $30. If you need a source, let me know.

If you can get behind the indicator light assembly, you will find connectors there also. Pick the two coming from the roof and test them with the volt meter the same way. You may also find a fuse there which you can check.

Jim Mannett

Sun City, AZ