Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Military campgrounds

Guest Wayne77590

I couldn't find a Veterans section so I'll post here. I'm sure that many veterans know about Military campgrounds.

We spent the last two nights at Shields Fam Camp. It is in a brand-new loactions just inside the gate at the Navy SeeBee base in gulfport. Not much in the form of amenities. Just a small office, but the sites are very, very nice with a lot of room between sites that are 70 feet long, 30 feet wide. The between space must be at least 40 feet.

Tonight we are in Site #4, Oak Grove CG, Naval Air Station, Pensacola Florida. When the Blue Angels are in town they practice on Tuesday and Wednesday. They are in town. We will get up early and be at the flight area by 0800. If you are in the area, drop by and say hi in site #4. This CG is very nice. DW really likes it here and a big plus is we have friends that live in the area and it gives us a time to visit at life catches up and passes us by each longer year.

On the 27th We'll be at Mayport Naval Station CG, Jacksonville, FL.

I was unfortunately stuck in the old gravel, sardine can, campground at Shields because I got there a couple days before they opened the new one. Amenities always located on the base somewhere.

Guest Wayne77590

Cathe,

Yes I am a member of that Group and post reviews there when ever I stay at a FamCamp.

We just finished 2 weeks at Lunga Park, Quantico, VA. What a beautiful campground with exception of their hookups.

I had to parallel park in site #2 in The Pines. I jockeyed around to have the steps open to about 3 feet of the pad so we could walk the pad to get in and out. So as you stepped from our front step you were looking at 100 yards of downward slope to the lake. There wasn't another camping site within an acre of us, and I'm not exagerating. The Pines only has 6 pad sites. Every thing else is for tents, but none near Site #1 or 2. All of the padded sites look to the lake in some fashion. It is so rustic and beautiful.

Now for the CON's. Sewer is a cement square buried in the ground that they have to pump out when it gets full. We never filled it so the pumper naver came. The water spigot was 25 feet minimum from the convince center. The electric was on a pole on the opposite side of where the cable is so I was very glad to have 50 feet of cord. It just reached. There are no showers (that's why I have a MH) and the rest rooms are "out house" style. That is, wooden open seating (that's why I have a MH).

Some more PRO's. The drive to The Pines area is 1 mile on crushed rock road. Our dog, Miya, had a field day when we traveled in the Toad with all the deer, wild turkey's, rabits and other small creatures. There are paddle boats, canoes, run-a-bouts with motor and other amenities at the Office/Store. This is a full fledged recreation area. Most of that activities is 2 miles from The Pines.

Lots of deer ticks. Little buggers thought I was a buffet.

Good to see some Vets on here that I see on MCG sites. Last winter we visited NAS Jacksonville, Pelican Roost and Kings Bay. Had a great at these MCG. Next winter we're off to Ft Sam Houston. Ft Benning and Laughlin AFB. We will be leaving Ohio for Santa Fe in August and plan on staying at Wright Patterson, Scott AFB and Oklahoma City. Have a great day guys.

Road Dog

As retired DOD we have welcomed the privilage of staying at Patrick AFB, FL and Naval Weapons Station's rv camp grounds Goose Creek SC. At both we found the hosts and facility managers very helpful and curtious, and the rate were reasonable, the NWS is only 23 miles from downtown Charleson, good hook up and spacious slips. At PAFB they never turn any one away, and with in two weeks you wll be in slip with water, sewer and electric. If all the slips are full there is the overflow lot dry camping, again very good host, and managment.

We are now planing a trip out west in the fall. hoping to stay at more military, state and federal rv parks.

Guest Wayne77590

Paul,

You are going to like Ft. Sam Houston. We have not stayed there yet as reservations are needed and it seems when we want to go to San Antonio it is always on the spur of the moment. We have driven over to it and taken a look. It appears to be very nice, and San Antonio is always a great place to visit.

Happy trails.

Guest Wayne77590

Doc,

In general, that is correct. Active duty, retired military, DoD, 100% disabled Veterans are eligible but each installation can modify that to accept only Active, retired, DoD, etc., or any combination at the commanders orders. So one may be for only active and retired. To see what those eligibility requirements are you can go to the military campground site (not affiliated with any federal agency). You can also stay as a "guest" of one of the mentioned eligible members, but not at all facilities.

Paul,

You are going to like Ft. Sam Houston. We have not stayed there yet as reservations are needed and it seems when we want to go to San Antonio it is always on the spur of the moment. We have driven over to it and taken a look. It appears to be very nice, and San Antonio is always a great place to visit.

Happy trails.

Wayne....We're looking forward to our stay at Ft Sam Houston. This will be our first time there.

Road Dog

Please correct me if I'm wrong: My understanding is that the miliotary campgrounds are ONLY ofr active and retired members, and not all veterans.

Doc Mike

You are correct as to the CO limiting use of rv camp sites. However, With the reductions in force and the war, the military in general can't suport the facilities with just active and retired users. And so, to keep them open the CO's have opened the use of these facilities to DOD active and retired personal ..Yes it is at the discression of the CO. but in general, active, retired military have advance reservations status i.e the can reserve a spot six months or a year in advance while DOD only have 90 day or less to make reservations. Active military have as walk up priviliages And some stations have open spots for only active personel.

Some activities only allow the DOD personnell who work or are retired from their stations to use the campgrounds.

All military recrationsal facilities are under money restrains due to the war. So if you can get a reservation camp and use a military camp ground; do so as this will help keep them open and in busines for our service men/women in uniform.

JOY

Jim Moore

retired DOD

nuclear engineer

Norfolk Naval Ship Yard

Charleston Naval Ship Yard

retired USNR-R

There are some military camps that are open to the general public, but not many. One in particular is LETRA (Lake Elmer Thomas Recreational Area) on Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The main obstacle is getting to these places if you don't have a millitary ID of some sort. Best bet is to call the particular campground and ask. The website mentioned also has reviews for the various campgrounds in the system.

GM