boguslaw

Valve Lash Check/Adjustment

The manual shows having the valve lash checked at 100,000 mi or 2 yrs. 2 Years in an RV is a lot different from an over the road truck so is this maintenance item really needed every 2 years? My Cat C9 is 3.5 yrs old and only 16k miles so do I really need to have this service done? What is everyone else doing when the mileage and age requirement are so different? I understand the requirement for filters or oil because they can deteriorate even without operating but valve lash adjustment?

Thanks-

Jim Boguslaw

07 Country Coach

FMCA member for a whopping year

Jim,

Caterpillar's recommendation for first valve adjustment in an RV application is at 30,000 miles. And that is what was presented on a slide and in the handout at the Redmond FMCA Convention Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Seminar.

Time is not an issue.

They have found that it takes the engine approximately that number of miles to break in.

Brett

I had my valve lash adjustment at 27,000 miles on my CAT 330hp at the local CAT dealer. It was pricey to have done, but I saw an immediate 1.3 mpg fuel economy increase and improved power in the mountains in the west. I was told the valve lash on two cylinders was out of spec.significantly.

DWF

Can valve lash adjustment be a DIY project?

RJ

2005 Inspire

RJ,

Not sure anyone can properly answer that question-- it depends on your skill level.

Adjusting valves is not rocket science, but if done wrong can sure be expensive.

Said another way, yes, a good mechanic familiar with adjusting valves on other types of engines CAN adjust his own valves, but most can't or don't.

But, I have been adjusting valves for 40+ years, so no big deal FOR ME.

Brett,

I have adjusted valves in gas engines solid lifter as well as hydraulic lifter engines. I assume my Cat C9 adjustment is similar?

You don't by chance live in the Dallas area do you?

Thanks,

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

RJ,

No, not in Dallas area.

Nothing unique about diesels. As long as you can find TDC and know how to do the adjustment on solid lifter engines.

I have adjusted the valve lash on several Cummins motors and no problem. I could probably do it on my Detroit but they also want to set the injector height not sure if I want to mess with that. My injectors run off a camshaft like a valve. Detroit wants this done at 60K miles and they will not do it any sooner regardless of time because they say it has to be fully broken in. I did find YouTube videos on how to do it and you might want to search for a video on doing yours.