billboyes

Shower Drain

We have a 2005 Class C Holiday Rambler Atlantis Motor Home which we bought a little over a year ago. Recently, we have developed a nasty smell in our shower drain. We put a box of baking soda down the drain and ran a lot of water behind it. The smell seemed to go away for a few hours but then came back but not quite as strong.

We have been very careful with keeping the shower clean and drying down the shower walls after each use. However, the shower did back up recently when the tank needed to be emptied. We're not sure if this is the cause of the smell in the drain.

Is there anything else we can do to get rid of this smell permanently? Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill Boyes

Bill,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Shower drains connect to the gray tank, which ALWAYS smells. So, what you need to verify is that the device(s) to keep odors in the tank separate from the interior are working properly.

Just as in a stick home, the P trap (when and only when full of water) keeps the tank odors from migrating up and into the house/coach.

So, first thing I would check is that your does have a P trap and that there IS water in it. Note, there are some new devices that replace conventional P traps-- if you don't see a P trap, let us know what you have in lieu of the P.

You may also have a check valve type vent (used more for sinks than for showers. It may need to be cleaned or replaced. You will find a pipe with the valve on the top of it-- again, more likely under a sink.

Does this happen more when driving or stopped? You could also have a problem with your roof-top vent(s).

Start with the easy in-coach checks.

Brett

Several years ago we were occasionally smelling the gray water tank while driving. My wife swore it was coming from the shower. I put water down the drain but the smell persisted. I stopped again and put water down the drain for the washer/drier and the smell went away. The shower is on one side of the bathroom and the washer/drier on the other side. Where the smell was coming from was not easy to determine. If you have a washer/drier, make sure that drain has water. It might not be the shower drain at all.