roymeyer

96" Mud Flap

I was wondering why these mud/rock flap/guards aren't mounted just behind the rear wheels on a diesel pusher.

Can it be the lack of air circulation on the transmission?

Roy,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Actually, many coaches DO have guards immediately behind the rear wheels-- ours does, in addition to the one full width one mounted at the very back.

Those forward mounted ones help protect cooling system and engine room components from rock and debris damage.

I suspect most of the reason for the wide guard's rear mounting position is aesthetics-- the coach looks better when viewed from the rear than just looking at the "machinery".

Brett

Roy,

Actually, many coaches DO have guards immediately behind the rear wheels-- ours does, in addition to the one full width one mounted at the very back.

Those forward mounted ones help protect cooling system and engine room components from rock and debris damage.

I suspect most of the reason for the wide guard's rear mounting position is aesthetics-- the coach looks better when viewed from the rear than just looking at the "machinery".

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for responding but my question was if the 96" could be mounted just behind the rear wheels. I do have small guards just behind the wheels now .

There is no good place to mount at the rear without cutting about 7" off the 16" guard. Mounting behind the wheels has a lot of room but when I look at the whole area being blocked I was afraid there would be no air circulating around the transmission. Is this a legitimate concern?

This is a pretty old topic (2010) But I have a query.

I have a 2011 Damon Astoria which has the 96" guard located just behind the rear wheels. When boarding a ferry the guard was damaged - support bar & rubber buckled. Repaired & reinstalled but now the rubber is tearing away from the metal support and I have been thinking about replacing it with a guard mounted near the rear of the coach, but on a trip recently, through the Rockies, my engine overheated a few times so I'm wondering if the guard also acts as a deflector to direct cooling air to the engine compartment/radiator and if the new guard has to be installed in the current location.

Any advice will be appreciated.

GilDer,

Not sure I have ever seen a full width guard installed just behind the rear wheels.  Small ones on each side behind the duals is common.

If, indeed it is full width and IN FRONT OF THE FAN SHROUD and this is a rear radiator coach, removing it would improve air flow to the CAC and radiator.

A full width guard at the back of the coach improves air flow through the CAC and radiator on a rear radiator coach (and would diminish air flow if a side radiator).

Brett,

Thanks for your response and it made me think about the information I had included in my previous post, so I went to my coach and took some measurements,

The 96" guard is 95" behind the wheels and approx 14" from the rear of the coach, more or less directly under the rear radiator. My thoughts for the replacement guard is to install on the tow hitch brackets. Would this change your comments regarding improving the air flow?

Derek

Yes, as long as the guard is behind the intake for the cooling package/fan shroud it will help create a slightly higher pressure area in front of it.  Suspect this benefit would be slightly reduced the further back the guard is positioned.  But, I do not see the difference as significant.

Bill,

Not really a matter of "should not have".  More a discussion of what is ideal air flow.

With a side radiator, air is pulled in from the side of the coach and exits into the engine compartment.

A guard/mud flap at the back of the engine room where most are mounted does reduce the vacuum effect as it creates a small high pressure area in front of the guard.  Without the guard, there is more natural "vacuum" effect.

Please don't read into this that side radiators should not have rear mounted guards.  But they do NOT help with cooling package air flow.

That is why I asked. What is on this coach I will now get rid of because it is huge 96 wide, unavoidable but it appears nearly 20 to 24 inches tall, hanging from well above the receiver. I will replace with one 10 inches tall and below the receiver.

Thanks for all the time you spend doing this!!:D

Bill Edwards

Brett.  Do you happen to know of an alternative?  I remember back when we had a brush, not solid rubber, guard.  Also, had the guard back of each set of dually.  Sure made a mess of Toad front end!

Carl

It has long been debated whether the mud flap at the very back help protect a toad or actually kick up more debris as they come in contact with the ground over bumps (being so far behind the rear axle, it doesn't take much of a bump to put them in contact with the pavement).

One view is that good mud flaps behind the rear wheels are more effective than the large ones behind the coach, as the ones right behind the rear wheels do not contact the ground.

That would explain the effect of water, when behind a 18 wheeler, it comes out either side, but not much in middle.  I have noticed that on a Prevost the mud flap is between drive axle and tag and not across back!

Carl

I don't have a full width mud flap on my coach and I cannot see where I have acquired any meaningful damage to my toad from towing it behind the coach. I have picked up a couple things when just driving the toad, saw and felt them. I have been keeping a pretty close eye on it since new.

Bill

I have towed two black vehicles and never noticed any problems. Our toad is now white and I am seeing chips in the white painted part of the bumper.

I guess I had chips before but never noticed them before.

Now where to hang the mud flap? On our coach we have a small flap behind each of the tag wheels. We have the full width flap about 18" in from the rear of the coach. When moving I wish it was closer to the ground. However when parked I wish it was shorter.

I saw a coach recently that small wheels on each end of his flap so they would roll back when he dumped. They looked to be about the size of children's bicycle training wheels. Good idea.

Herman 

11 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

...When moving I wish it was closer to the ground. However when parked I wish it was shorter...

Herman 

I put a very small eye bolt in the bottom corner of the full width rock guard, with the 'eye' side facing rear.  Above each eye bolt I have a short piece of small chain with the bottom link open.  When entering an area where the rock guard will drag, I lift each corner up and attach it to the chain.  When not being used, I hook the chain on itself out of the way...and sight.

I have a short flap mounted between the drive and tag axel, this helps reduce some extra buildup of mud/debris on the tag, then an almost ground dragging flap behind the tag, this helps keep most slinging out the rear. Herman my last three toads were white, I use a nice looking shop blanket over the bumper bungy strapped in place to reduce those rock chips, if you're using transmission pump cooler, don't cover the air opening for your radiator. Also there are some very nice devices that attach to your undercarriage and pull forward to attach to your towbar, these work better than rear full width guards and several other methods, including the old hula skirts.

Thanks Kay, our toad is a 08 Silverado Crew cab Z-71 4 X 4.;) I know you are right and I need a shield of some kind. Problem is, is that I am basically Lazy.:wub: I like to get a job done as quickly as possible with as little effort as I can get by with.  I know, my bad.:wacko:

Herman   

Thanks Brett,

I think I will install the new guard on the front side of the tow hitch which will make it approx 4" in front of the rear of the coach.

I was reading my coach window sticker yesterday and noticed that the mud flap in question is an option, not standard $735.00 option in 2002 on my coach. Which would make me think its not necessary for anything other than blocking debris from the drive tires that the 1st flaps miss and of course appearance.

This past June When I purchased a Roadmaster tow bar / Invisibrake system from Camping World in Katy, TX for my "new to me" 2007 Damon Astoria motorhome (with rear radiator) and my new Jeep Wrangler "toad", the Service Manager recommended installing a full width rock guard at the rear of the motorhome to protect the Jeep from flying rocks and other road debris.  Camping World did a nice job installing both the Roadmaster tow system and the rock guard.   A photo of my motorhome/Jeep shows the rock guard attached near the rear of the motorhome to help bring a visual aid to the discussion above.

IMG_0902.JPG