rosszie@me.com

Power Outage

I was in Oregon :rolleyes: Mountain Gate RV Park, My rig was plugged in to the 50AMP service, we went on a two day tour... when we returned late the 2nd day.. our Coach was dead.. no power the house battery switch was still on but very faint lite.. The Sure Power Surge protector was shut down... There was a rain storm on the prior day. I try to get the 50 amp box to respond it was dead, call mgr. and had to move (Chassis Batteries were still fully charged).

Finally got power reset the power box and the Heart Interface referenced. The house batteries were drained down to 10.2 Volts way low... so I set the unit to charge, at 20 amps. with a lower charge of 7.5 amps... after two days the batteries are still needing more charge to get up the reserve amp hours... Does anyone know how long the recovery will take? The batteries are new Interstate 8D's the water levels are normal.. I have not tried to setting the charger on 30 Amps I was trying to get a deeper charge with the 20 Amp setting.. I am using my Heart 2500 Converter/Inverter, Any answers''

Please clarify. When you say you set the Heart 2500 inverter/charger to 20 amps are you talking about limiting the amps of 120VAC used to charge the batteries to 20 amps of 120 VAC? Or are you charging the batteries at 20 amps of 12 VDC?

Please explain what you mean by "so I set the unit to charge, at 20 amps. with a lower charge of 7.5 amps".

How many 8D batteries do you have?

What is the present voltage reading on the house battery bank?

What is the present charge rate (amps of 12 VDC)?

Brett

Guest BillAdams

I would set the inverter/charger to the 50amp setting and let the smart charger take care of getting your batteries charged again. The 50amp setting will allow the charger to use it's 3 stage charging capabilities, As the voltage comes up it will enter a reduced amp middle stage and finally go into a float charge once the batteries are topped off.

Please clarify. When you say you set the Heart 2500 inverter/charger to 20 amps are you talking about limiting the amps of 120VAC used to charge the batteries to 20 amps of 120 VAC? Or are you charging the batteries at 20 amps of 12 VDC?

Please explain what you mean by "so I set the unit to charge, at 20 amps. with a lower charge of 7.5 amps".

How many 8D batteries do you have?

What is the present voltage reading on the house battery bank?

What is the present charge rate (amps of 12 VDC)?

Brett

Brett,

I have 2 8D's BATTERIES THEIR ARE FOUR SETTINGS ON THE INTERFACE Unit SET UP shows these settings 30/20/15/5. SO WHEN I SET UNIT THE READING WAS 7.5 I READ THE MANUAL I ADVISE NOT TO SET THE CHARGING ON THE HIGHEST UN-LESS ONE WAS PLUGGED IN TO 50AMP's, (I have 4 batteries 2 chassis and 2 House) I wanted to clear that up if there was any question.

I was on 50amp but I wanted to get a long slow charge ?,. After two days of on and off charging the batteies only came up to 97 amp hrs.. my other batteries (chassis) read 257 when fully charged... The unit shows all the correct setting.. accept, float, etc... but when I go to read the charge in says CCC which means charging so how long does it take to get the batteies back to a full charge with the correct reserve hour amount?

I'm home now and not using any of the coach power I've turned off the House Battery Switch so everything is shut down...

You are doing properly to somewhat limit the amps of 120 VAC that are used to charge the batteries. Slow charge IS easier on the batteries, particularly if deeply discharged.

But remember, even 7.5 amps of 120 VAC will charge the batteries at close to 60 amps in bulk stage-- more than enough for the inverter/charger to go through all three stages (bulk, absorption and float).

After charging them another 24 hours, turn off the inverter/charger or just unplug from shore power.

Use a battery hydrometer (around $5 at any auto parts house) to check each cell. It is quite likely that they have regained full charge, even if your monitor system doesn't indicate that they are fully charged.

If the Specific Gravity readings from the hydrometer indicate that not all cells are fully charged, grab your Xantrex manual and program in an equalization.

If the cells SG says they are fully charged, reset your monitor system.

Brett