Sign in to follow this  
james_anderson@cox.net

Travel routes for 65-foot combo

Question

Sandi and I Are planning a 5-moth road trip from Arizona through NM., TX, OK, MO, AR, TN, GA. Al. Fl. SC, NC, KY, IN, MO, KA, CO, UT, NV, CA, OR, AND WA. We have a 40 foot motorhome / 25 foot car hauler trailer behind, this is a 65 foot rig.

My Questions to you are;

(1) I would like to know if any of the member campgrounds can accommodate such a long rig?

(2) Are there any length restrictions for motorhome combinations in any of the states we are passing through?

(3) What is teh best route?

6 answers to this question

Hi TireGuy,

Your questions will require a considerable amount of research to answer. My coach and toad are 62' in length. For me, I do this:

Let's try #3 first. The coach and toad are for traveling Interstate highways to get me to the next CG. Federal highways can be considered, but be careful. Secondary roads are only for getting to and from the Interstate to the CG. The toad is used for all sightseeing and area touring activities.

Question #2 is, by state law. Consider purchasing a 2009 Trailer Life CG Directory. You're going to need a directory for this trip. On page 25 & 25 are the rules of the road. Go to Trailer Life Directory website. In addition consider purchasing the Mountain Directory East and West (two books). Go to Mountain Directory website to view their products.

Question #1 will need to be addressed by you as you speak to each campground when making reservations.

Guest Wayne77590

For a web version check this:

Rules Of The Road

Rules change so if in doubt check with the state.

For those CG's that do not have a pull through to accommodate you, they may have a place to park the trailer, then you can re-hook when you depart. As Gary said, you have to check with the CG to see if they can accommodate you.

May I ask why the trailer?

I recently picked up a Rand McNally Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas at Flying J for less than $30.00. Among the benefits are highlighted truck routes. For these truck routes it also gives all low clearance locations in each state. We have used a previous edition for four years and decided it was time to get the latest information. Yes there are length restrictions for almost every state and they vary widely. Tow laws are also a part of this publication. The pages of the atlas are laminated and they do last for years of heavy use. It includes all of Canada and Mexico. Our rig is 40 (Windsor) + 20 (Trailblazer) + 5 (BikeE bicycles) = 65. I don't always use the truck routes, there are some great back roads and I will sometimes brave them. We have traveled in all 50 states and all of Canada with the exception of Quebec, Newfoundland/Labrador and Nunavut. I have been stopped by low clearance once when I wasn't anticipating it, railroad underpass in Pennsylvania.

I don't use it but there is a big rig campground directory available. You might check it out on the internet (www.big-rigs-rv.com/) and/or at an RV dealer. We go to all kinds of campgrounds but don't have the trailer. We tow the Trailblazer on a tow bar and it can be unhooked in a few minutes. The above mentioned Trailer Life Campground Directory has a pretty reliable listing of the typical size of campsites including length. Call ahead and specify the length of your rig and the campground host/owners should be able to tell you if they can give you a site to accommodate your rig. We always do this when we want to be able to park without having to unhook. Owners are usually eager to fit you in if they can.

You have some ambitious plans, enjoy the trip!

I would like to thank all three respondents for their assistance. I must apologize for my late response to you, we have a foreign exchange student living with us and Her Family came over to visit during the last week or so. We have been entertaining them and showing them around Fountain Hills, AZ. and the surrounding areas. I certainly appreciate the information and suggestions. I will look into all avenues.

To answer Wayne’s Question aboout the trailer.We enjoy sight seeing by Motorcycle when we can. We also enjoy company at times when on the road. This year we are brining both bikes + the Jeep, hence the larger trailer.

For a web version check this:

Rules Of The Road

Rules change so if in doubt check with the state.

For those CG's that do not have a pull through to accommodate you, they may have a place to park the trailer, then you can re-hook when you depart. As Gary said, you have to check with the CG to see if they can accommodate you.

May I ask why the trailer?

Guest Wayne77590

Tireguy,

It is nice that you can have a jeep or MC along with you when you travel, or both. Having said that, in 2007 I had two motorcycles totaled while I was riding both. The first one was more or less my fault (long story), and 4 months later, traveling at 50 mph a pickup truck pulled out and broad sided me. Then he ran. That is a felony in Texas. My 830 pound MC pulled his license plate off the front bumper of the truck. He went home the next morning and they knocked on his door. Sentencing is still pending. MCing is a life style that I miss, but I will not ride anymore. And to give you and idea of the frequency of my rides, my April 2004 new purchase was totaled in March 2007 with over 64,000 miles on it.

So as you most likely well know, riding a motorcycle is dangerous and it is not as much you as it is those stupid idiot drivers out there that just don't see you.

Be careful, stay safe, and keep the shinny side up.