Sign in to follow this  
Smoker

Air Brake toggle switch - Protection

Does anyone have a device etc to place on (under) the air brake toggle switch so it cannot be accidently released ? I read somewhere that a gentleman made something and would even mail you one. Not sure where I read this. We have friends that their dog pressed the switch down with its body weight and the unit rolled away. Any help or ideas is appreciated. It’s would be a good idea to lock this switch out with animals, small kids are present in a motorhome. Thanks….Ron

Guest BillAdams
Does anyone have a device etc to place on (under) the air brake toggle switch so it cannot be accidently released ? I read somewhere that a gentleman made something and would even mail you one. Not sure where I read this. We have friends that their dog pressed the switch down with its body weight and the unit rolled away. Any help or ideas is appreciated. It’s would be a good idea to lock this switch out with animals, small kids are present in a motorhome. Thanks….Ron

Have you ever watched the show "Deal or no Deal"? If you can make a hinged box similar to that (which I have seen on several RV's) you would have the necessary protection.

I took a piece of PVC pipe, cut it to length and cut a slot in it so that it slips under the air brake release. When it is in place, the brake release can not be pushed down. I used a 1" x 3/4" pipe adapter, a left-over piece from some electrical work I was doing. The adapter is made to slip inside a one inch pipe and allow a 3/4" pipe to slip inside it. There is a collar on this piece that would match the OD of the 1" pipe. The collar gives it a wide base to sit on the screws under the plunger. It is small and easy to store when not in use.

I also put chocks in front of and behind the rear dual tire on the utility side of the coach. I store them in the compartment with my electrical cord. They are the first thing to come out of the compartment and the last thing to go back in. I have a pair of the yellow plastic chocks from Camping World. Even with a large coach, they are quite effective. I had to push the accelerator hard to smash one last year when I decided to adjust the coach position after assessing the utility locations!

Thanks Bill. Excellent idea.

Have you ever watched the show "Deal or no Deal"? If you can make a hinged box similar to that (which I have seen on several RV's) you would have the necessary protection.

Thanks Tom. Another easy idea. Thanks for the help here.

I took a piece of PVC pipe, cut it to length and cut a slot in it so that it slips under the air brake release. When it is in place, the brake release can not be pushed down. I used a 1" x 3/4" pipe adapter, a left-over piece from some electrical work I was doing. The adapter is made to slip inside a one inch pipe and allow a 3/4" pipe to slip inside it. There is a collar on this piece that would match the OD of the 1" pipe. The collar gives it a wide base to sit on the screws under the plunger. It is small and easy to store when not in use.

I also put chocks in front of and behind the rear dual tire on the utility side of the coach. I store them in the compartment with my electrical cord. They are the first thing to come out of the compartment and the last thing to go back in. I have a pair of the yellow plastic chocks from Camping World. Even with a large coach, they are quite effective. I had to push the accelerator hard to smash one last year when I decided to adjust the coach position after assessing the utility locations!

CDL training says that when you park a vehicle with air breaks, you should "pump your air down" that will insure that the springs breaks are always on so a "device" is not necessary.

Thanks Colmac. Makes sense.

CDL training says that when you park a vehicle with air breaks, you should "pump your air down" that will insure that the springs breaks are always on so a "device" is not necessary.