jimpat4649

East & West Networks For Fulltimers; DirecTV?

We switched to DirecTV from DISH while at Redmond FMCA Convention.

We were told/re-assured with the RV waiver etc we could still get East & West Coast feeds of National Networks with DirecTV.

We've been trying to get the promised East & West with DIrect TV; however, now they say No, the Fed Govt doesn't allow it.

Anyone know if this is true; or just another Frustration?

By the way, when we were with DISH we also had to subscribe to All American Direct (may have name change) for the East and West feeds of National Networks.

I don't know what the regulations are now but I can tell you that we have DirecTV and we have both East and West feeds for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. I don't know if CW is on this list or not. We are unable to get a national feed for PBS since that is available at our service address in South Dakota (near Sioux Falls). We switched from Dish to DirecTV in 2003 when we purchased our current motor home. It came with a DirecTV receiver and it was simply easier to switch than fight! At that time we were able to get PBS but that was withdrawn about 2 years later when PBS became available on the Sioux Falls local channel spot broadcast from DirecTV. I'm fairly certain that you need to keep calling customer service until you get a representative with a brain who will listen to you and respond appropriately.

It is no secret that RV's are stepchildren when it comes to satellite TV service. We are a tiny part of their market and we can take it or leave it, they really don't care. Besides, we are too difficult to support. They can't count on us to be in any one place. Our equipment is manufacturer installed and some equipment is industry specific, not something their robot installers can deal with without thinking. Besides, do you really want one of their installers to work on your RV anyway? I can think of a dozen cartoons related to this!

It is sort of ironic that the television technology which is completely mobile is hostile to the mobile community because of the neglect or ignorance of the companies that provide the service.

And yes, I love satellite TV. Couldn't live without it.

Thank you for the prompt reply. We will continue to haunt DirecTV...

We're also fulltimers; celebrating 8 years on October 2! Our address, vehicles regist are in Sioux Falls SD- Minnehaha County;

where our niece lives; but we use a PMB.

We had been with DISH for over 14 years; until a glitch just before Redmond! They insisted our problem was BOTH our antennas- the KVH dome and our

free standing.... Service call (plus$$) proved their Receiver was the problem... but no solution from DISH. They didn't care if we left; and they refunded the remaining 10 months of our prepaid annual subscription.

I've been trying to google etc searches to see if there are new Fed Regulations that don't allow East & West.

One comical reply: the new law is to prevent being able to see Game Shows and Reality TV answers and results before you are supposed to in your own time zone!

Gee, they better stop Internet broadcasts too! if that's the case.

Guest BillAdams

Do not haunt DirecTV. There is nothing that anyone can do to get you the East/West service by phone. You simply need to fill out the proper form, mail or Fax (faster) it in and you will get the service. You must include a copy of your vehicle registration to prove you own the RV and the dates that the form asks for are the dates that your current registration is valid.

You can get a copy of the waiver here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/directv-and...orms-53394.html

An RVer with Dish Network or DirecTV have the exact same rights. The only difference is that Dish Network violated the regulations over and over years back and the Government stopped allowing them to provide this service (the reason for All American Direct) and DirecTV still provides the service directly.

The DirecTV programming will come from NY and LA instead of NY and San Fran (Dish Net).

Thank you for the advice Bill.

However, the waiver was signed, faxed with copies of our Motorhome Vehicle Registration along with the requested copies of our Driver's Licenses on August 13, 2010 with Credit card payment in full and CC automatic payments set up.

On Sept 13, 2010 we received notice from our CC that our SECOND month of service (including Distant Networks) has been paid to DirecTV.

Phone calls to DirecTV by our Installer (one of the Vendors at the FMCA Convention in Redmond) and ourselves have been UNSUCCESSFUL for us to get West Coast Distant Networks feed.

We have followed the advice of our Installer for re-booting etc etc etc the system.

We have completed the requested 48hour "wait" period several times the past 5 weeks.

Since Halloween is already featured in stores, I may have to haunt DirecTV... wouldn't you at this point?

By the way, DISH - the final straw for them supposedly was: after Katrina in New Orleans, DISH set up and provided TV with East & West; which violated Fed regs....their kindness backfired when they continued supplying this service for longer than necessary.

Over 90 minutes spent going in circles with DirecTV....with several reps and supervisors etc

Verified they have our RV Waiver, Vehicle Registrations on file.

At one point we were told we needed to FAX our CDL Driver's Licenses!

Again we were told it is NOW illegal to receive East and West Distant Networks!

Here's our bill- note the Network Package.

Since our KVH dome antenna is not HD capable, we'd give up HD and just get Standard feed for East and West.

09/14 10/13 CHOICE ULTIMATE Monthly 68.99

09/14 10/13 HD Access Monthly 10.00

09/14 10/13 Network Package Monthly 15.00

09/14 10/13 DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly 7.00

09/14 10/13 DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00

Fees 09/15 Primary Leased Receiver 5.00

Where can I find out if there has been New/Recent Fed laws preventing East & West?

Maybe you are under old rules/contract and are allowed to receive E&W; but new subscribers can't??????

Guest BillAdams

By chance are you arguing over the HD DNS service? You are entitled to (and I am watching now) the NY and LA ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox in standard definition. You are also entitled to EITHER the East OR West HD programming. This choice of East or West is not yours and based upon the service address of your account. You can only get West if your address is in the Mountain or Pacific time zones and East if your address is in the Eastern or Central time zone.

As an aside, Dish Network lost the right to sell DNS long before Katrina hit so I am not sure where that rumor ever came from.

We're only trying to get E&W standard def; (not HD for anything, even though we have HD for Life under the new Promo.)

Our KVH dome is not HD capable, we will accept Standard Def.

We would only get HD with our free standing tripod antenna- which DirecTV then says we aren't eligible for DNS because we don't have a fixed/permanent antenna or whatever term they use for RV waiver! Another circle of excuses/reasoning.

Service Address is Sioux Falls, SD = Central Time zone. NOTE: Mr Butler has same and receives E&W DNS.

Right now, we're receiving East DNS for NYC; it can't be HD because our KVH dome isn't capable.

By the way, our MH is a 2007; fairly new & not about to spend $$$ to upgrade KVH; not that that would help this situation with DirecTV.

We questioned the $15 monthly Charge which is the charge that other DirecTV RV customers are paying for E&W; DirecTV is good with circles of excuses and can't answer us! We figure we won't argue that charge/payment in case that would jeopardize us that we aren't paying and therefore won't receive DNS- Oh look: another circle Catch 22!

I've searched google etc for "new" FCC regs for E&W DNS and must not have the key search word.

You and Mr Butler may both be receiving E&W under "grandfather" contract and New subscribers are prevented?

Can you understand our frustration?

I appreciate both yours and Mr Butler's input and advice.

Part of my initial Post was to see if any New DirecTV subscribers are having the same issue. I'm not sure if they weren't having a problem they'd want to risk or jeopardize their own feed and share info here.

Now maybe this could serve as a "warning" if there are new Fed Regs......for new subscribers

We would only get HD with our free standing tripod antenna- which DirecTV then says we aren't eligible for DNS because we don't have a fixed/permanent antenna or whatever term they use for RV waiver! Another circle of excuses/reasoning.

I think the answer to your problems is right there. The "fixed/permanent" antenna clause does not allow a standing tripod antenna. A fixed permanent antenna is a dome or collapsible dish permanently mounted to the vehicle. Drop your HD service. Ditch (or tell them you have) the tripod antenna and reapply. I think that having the HD service on your account with the requirement for a tripod antenna is the problem. The law that allows them to offer the nationwide broadcasts does require the fixed/permanent antenna attached to a vehicle. That means only a fixed/permanent antenna.

Guest BillAdams

Nothing has changed. The form appears to have just been updated this July. I have other customers who recently signed up as well without any issue.

Thank you for asking about our broadcast network service for your mobile vehicle. We offer our mobile customers DNS (distant network service) programming of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC network feeds from New York or Los Angeles, along with a CW network feed from Washington DC, or San Diego and a PBS feed. This 6-station Mobile DNS package is available for $15.00 per month.

We look forward to providing you with these DNS Network services. However, before we can add the DNS networks to your mobile vehicle receiver, federal law requires that you send us the following information:

1. Photocopy of your vehicle registration

2. Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent Form (Form enclosed).

3. Photocopy of commercial driver’s license (If you are requesting service for a commercial vehicle).

4. Application for a New Mobile Vehicle Account (This form is required if your residential account has more than one receiver and one of those receivers is located in your mobile vehicle. Form enclosed).

Is your RV registered in your own name? No, LLC or business related name.

I would fill out the waiver again and FAX it (not mail) to DirecTV at 208-363-6444.

If you qualify and you are paying for it you just need to get the form to the right person.

I know you are very skeptical about our experience and I appreciate your info and advice; along with Mr Butler's.

I wish I could shorten this up, but I want to address the input from you and Mr Butler.

Our RV is registered in South Dakota in my husband's name.

We are Full-timers since October 2002; no permanent residence; only PMB for address in South Dakota.

We have Faxed our info and waiver (again) to the FAX number you provided; same one we used in mid-August 2010.

We have requested dropping HD since our KVH dome is incapable of receiving HD. The Vendor we dealt with informed DirecTV we turned in the Tripod/LNB's he provided back to him and thus can not receive HD.

We have jumped through every hoop...

I am quite stubborn and this frustration....

well; I just want to let others be aware of this - just in case they find themselves in a similar situation.

Perhaps you may wish to verify this info (E & W not available) on your own; call DIrecTV Toll Free from a PayPhone (?) so as not to link to your own accounts. For DISH, DNS provided by Sobongo (Formally known as All American Direct) at 800-909-9677.

Calls to them also share the same info: East and West NOT available to new subscribers. Their website has NOT been updated to indicate the new restrictions; but calling them verifies unavailable E & W to New subscribers.

If we had signed with Direct TV prior to July 28, 2010, we would have been grandfatherd under the old FCC Rules and been able to receive E&W Distant Networks; like yourself, Mr Butler and several thousand (?) other (grandfathered) RVers.

I have NOT been able to find any other New (after 1 August 2010) Subscriber willing to share their experience; goood or bad.

If you know someone willing to share their success as a new subscriber to give us some leverage, we'd appreciate it.

Our own UPDATE: DirecTV: Contracts do not guarantee DNS; thus we would have to pay the Early Contract Cancellation fee; minimum of $20/month for the remaining 22 months of our 2 year Contract; approximately $440. Plus return the Receiver (at our expense).

The FMCA Redmond Convention Vendor we signed with for DirecTV has made attempts to resolve this with DirecTV, shared our frustration and extends apoplogies without a solution.

Naturally, we can attempt to use our batwing for Local Channels... since currently (temporarily) we are on the West Coast and our SD address (Central time) gives us East Distant Networks with DirecTV; but that can't be hooked up to the DVR.

It was a matter of timing and our luck.... all for TV!

If this ever resolves somehow.... I'll be certain to Post here.

Again, thank you for your advice and replies.

Guest BillAdams

On the DirecTV website TODAY.

The law permits us to offer broadcast networks from New York and Los Angeles to customers who have their DIRECTV systems in an RV or Commercial Truck. To get these non-local broadcast networks, you need to download the "Mobile Vehicle Declaration of Intent" from our web site at http://www.directv.com/go. Simply fill out the form and mail it in to us along with a photocopy of your vehicle registration and a copy of your commercial driver's license (if requesting service for a commercial vehicle).

While the information on this page addresses the RV community and a dome antenna you can see that DirecTV still fully supports the mobile user.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/trav...vs?topnavtype=2

I can't tell you how or why KVH and King Dome get their product plugs in there (paid option, I suspect) but there is no requirement that you own either of these products to receive the standard and DNS programming from either DirecTV or Dish Network.

Bill, I appreciate your input.

However, what is on the Internet and what signals they will allow us are not the same and what DirecTV states to us with each & every phone call.

DirecTV has our Waiver, South Dakota Vehicle Registration- which doesn't expire until Mar 2011, Copies of our South Dakota Driver's Licenses valid until 2014.

Guest BillAdams

I can't explain why you are having the problems that you are having but I can tell you that you ARE entitled to receive the DirecTV DNS programming unless your DirecTV dealer screwed something up.

It's not DirecTV's policy that is causing the problem. The DirecTV policy is the same today as it was back in July and that policy allows you DNS as long as the RV is registered in an individuals name.

Guest BillAdams

Hopefully, by now you do have your DNS programming. As an update to others that might be reading this thread, DirecTV (due to the new STELA laws passed by Congress) will now provide only E or W Coast DNS programming to new subscribers. This is based upon your service address but you can call and change your service address as you move from Coast to Coast. So if you have an address in the Pacific or Mountain time you will receive Network programming from LA. If you have an address in the Central or Eastern time you will receive Network programming from NY. Additionally, the National PBS feed and the CW network are being included in the DNS package. The single coast DNS package will now cost $15/month.

If you are an existing DNS customer you can opt for the new single coast package or you can send in a post card you should receive in time for the mid-November deadline and continue to receive both coasts plus the extra channels for $20/month.

If you are an existing DNS customer you can opt for the new single coast package or you can send in a post card you should receive in time for the mid-November deadline and continue to receive both coasts plus the extra channels for $20/month.

Hi Bill...

I read the Directv letter they've been sending out to existing DNS customers and I'm still a little confused. I'm an existing DNS HD customer. Do you interpret the new offering as allowing me to get HD feeds from both coasts for $20?

Thanks,

Rick

Guest BillAdams
Hi Bill...

I read the Directv letter they've been sending out to existing DNS customers and I'm still a little confused. I'm an existing DNS HD customer. Do you interpret the new offering as allowing me to get HD feeds from both coasts for $20?

Thanks,

Rick

No, I do not.

I understand it to mean that if you currently have E/W SD and E or W HD you can return the card and maintain this level of service for $20. If you choose not to do anything then you will get E or W only in both HD and SD.

New subscribers will no longer be able to receive E and W SD at all but will receive the DNS programming based upon the service address time zone.

No, I do not.

I understand it to mean that if you currently have E/W SD and E or W HD you can return the card and maintain this level of service for $20. If you choose not to do anything then you will get E or W only in both HD and SD.

New subscribers will no longer be able to receive E and W SD at all but will receive the DNS programming based upon the service address time zone.

Thanks Bill.... that's the way I read it too. Have to wait for my mail to catch up with me I guess.

Rick

Guest BillAdams
Thanks Bill.... that's the way I read it too. Have to wait for my mail to catch up with me I guess.

Rick

The following post was made on the Escapees forum.

Since we won’t get our mail sent to us in time to return the postcards, I fired off an email to DirecTV about this on 10/28. Responses came back that day and another today. They asked me to call the DNS Eligibility Group at 1-800-263-0028. I called this morning and Crystal took care of our election over the phone. She gave me her Employee number as confirmation. Painless.

Since I really did not want to take a chance on the mail, I also called that number. It took a few minutes and being put on hold while the operator asked some questions of her supervisor but when she came back she made a few notes including that I had not received my postcard, that I agreed to the new $20/month fee and that I understood that it would include 2 additional channels. I agreed to it all and while I was not 100% sure that what needed to be done was being done, when I went to my guide the CW channels were grayed out but the channels were available. I checked a couple of hours later and the channels were no longer grayed out and all appears well. I think I am a very happy camper.

The following post was made on the Escapees forum.

Since we won’t get our mail sent to us in time to return the postcards, I fired off an email to DirecTV about this on 10/28. Responses came back that day and another today. They asked me to call the DNS Eligibility Group at 1-800-263-0028. I called this morning and Crystal took care of our election over the phone. She gave me her Employee number as confirmation. Painless.

Since I really did not want to take a chance on the mail, I also called that number. It took a few minutes and being put on hold while the operator asked some questions of her supervisor but when she came back she made a few notes including that I had not received my postcard, that I agreed to the new $20/month fee and that I understood that it would include 2 additional channels. I agreed to it all and while I was not 100% sure that what needed to be done was being done, when I went to my guide the CW channels were grayed out but the channels were available. I checked a couple of hours later and the channels were no longer grayed out and all appears well. I think I am a very happy camper.

Great news. I'll do that Monday. Thanks so much...

Rick

No, I do not.

==================================================

Our experience Update:

DirecTV is back-dating NEW subscribers to May 2010. Thus as we subscribed to DirecTV in August, we are not eligible to get dual-coast DNS according to the interpretation of STELA by DirecTV.

DirecTV is interpreting the FCC legislation to be subscriber WITH DirecTV prior to May 2010, however, we were subscribers to dual-coast DNS with All American Direct (as a DISH subscriber) and are eligible for dual-coast- no matter who are current satellite TV subscription is with.

DirecTV is supposedly currently discussing their interpretation of STELA with their legal department concerning new subscribers.

I've said repeatedly, we can't be the ONLY RVers in this situation- we aren't that lucky!

Guest BillAdams

You might all want to check your DirecTV billing statements. I am now getting charged $20/month for Network Services plus $14/month for DNS Networks plus $2.50/month for PBS.

It's going to take some calling to get this right and not lose my East/West connections.