jimpat4649

East & West Networks For Fulltimers; DirecTV?

Y'all might have your problems solved by now, but just in case...

DirecTv offers DNS for either coast for $14 per month or both coasts for $20. I'm sitting in my house (which I am in eight months each year) and have both coasts on all my TVs here and also in my MH. It makes no difference if you have SD or HD as I used to have SD at home and in the MH and now have HD in the MH. I still get DNS, both coasts, all in HD.

I have been with DirecTv since the edge of darkness and there is a possibility that I may be "grandfathered" in, but I doubt it.

Y'all might have your problems solved by now, but just in case...

DirecTv offers DNS for either coast for $14 per month or both coasts for $20. I'm sitting in my house (which I am in eight months each year) and have both coasts on all my TVs here and also in my MH. It makes no difference if you have SD or HD as I used to have SD at home and in the MH and now have HD in the MH. I still get DNS, both coasts, all in HD.

I have been with DirecTv since the edge of darkness and there is a possibility that I may be "grandfathered" in, but I doubt it.

Do you have the RV waiver on file? We currently have E/W DNS at home except for Fox, PBS, and CW. They wouldn't give us waivers years ago. I was thinking of filing an RV waiver and changing the account to an RV account. I still want to use the system at home about six months per year.

If I file the waiver will they grandfather us into the E/W DNS since we have had it for many years at home?

If they do grandfather us we should be able to get Fox/PBS/CW, correct?

Will they insist on sending an installer or can we just do this ourselves?

Thanks

I read through this thread with great interest as I hope to be full time sometime in the next 6 to 12 months. I can't help but think though, none of this would be a problem if it were not for archaic and outdated laws and an over reaching FCC, both trying to protect the dying 'over the air' TV franchises. I suspect any of the sat services would be happy to provide the service which, no doubt, is no more complicated than making an entry into their computer, but the outdated, confusing and frequently seemingly contradictory laws and regs keep them dancing to be able to maintain their licenses.

That said, the sat providers do provide their own level of incompetence too. We've had Direct TV service for 15 years. May of last year we sold what had been our primary home and transitioned into what had been a vacation and weekend home. At least three times I've tried to tell them our 'local' channel broadcasts should be changed, three times I've been told 'it's been taken care of, give it over night to take effect', but I'm still getting the old locals from the Milwaukee area. Not a big problem for me as I can get my true locals over the air, and I still get the Milwaukee channels too, for free. I was just trying to do what was right.

Reading this thread brings back memories of dealing with DirecTV...and they were all bad. That is why I switched to Dish Network.

The cost of the satellite dish to receive HD on Dish Network compared to DirecTV is substantial. And Dish service is far superior in my opinion

Guest BillAdams
Reading this thread brings back memories of dealing with DirecTV...and they were all bad. That is why I switched to Dish Network.

The cost of the satellite dish to receive HD on Dish Network compared to DirecTV is substantial. And Dish service is far superior in my opinion

Funny how you failed to mention that Dish Network DNS customers just lost their HD DNS feeds!!!

Both services are good and both are bad. It's just a matter of finding a service you like.

Funny how you failed to mention that Dish Network DNS customers just lost their HD DNS feeds!!!

Both services are good and both are bad. It's just a matter of finding a service you like.

That is not accurate. Dish Network does not offer DNS Network feeds. You can order them through MyDistantNetworks.COM and its a lot easier than dealing with DirecTV as the original topic creator has had to do. And the feeds are all in HD/.

Guest BillAdams
That is not accurate. Dish Network does not offer DNS Network feeds. You can order them through MyDistantNetworks.COM and its a lot easier than dealing with DirecTV as the original topic creator has had to do. And the feeds are all in HD/.

Since the only way a Dish Network customer can get DNS programming is through a second company (a debacle all it's own) my information is completely accurate. The fact the DN screwed up and was required to have another company provide the services they were unable to manage themselves really does not have any effect on the fact that DN customers can no longer receive the programming they should be able to (and that DirecTV customers are still receiving).

I assume that you are aware that the HD DNS feeds that "had" been available through mydistantnetworks.com are no longer available.

Since the only way a Dish Network customer can get DNS programming is through a second company (a debacle all it's own) my information is completely accurate. The fact the DN screwed up and was required to have another company provide the services they were unable to manage themselves really does not have any effect on the fact that DN customers can no longer receive the programming they should be able to (and that DirecTV customers are still receiving).

I assume that you are aware that the HD DNS feeds that "had" been available through mydistantnetworks.com are no longer available.

Well Bill, I stand corrected. My channels are gone. shows you how often I watch them.

Guest BillAdams
Well Bill, I stand corrected. My channels are gone. shows you how often I watch them.

Surprise! :rolleyes:

Guest BillAdams

Your warning implied that you could no longer get Distant Network Services (DNS) at all. I assume you have found this to be incorrect but it is possible that only those of us who were grandfathered in from the old regulations can still get both E and W. We pay $20/month for this service plus pick up CW E/W and the National PBS. New subscribers will still receive either E or W programming (but not both) for $15/month. The determining factor for E or W is based upon the time zone in which your account is registered.

This has been a problem for me too. Everytime we move, we have a hassle with DTV to get local channels. It would be helpful to have a RV contact at DTV or FMCA who know how to resolve this repeated problem.

Not going to happen (currently) with DirecTV. If you want to be able to travel and ensure you will be able to watch your Network programming no matter where you stop, you need to sign up for the DirecTV DNS services.