DougC

Cross-country trip

Soon we are taking our first long trip in our motorhome, from Palm Springs, CA to Washington, D.C. We are allowing an average of 300 miles per day and plan overnight stops in Sedona AZ, the Albuquerque NM area, Amarillo TX area, Oklahoma City area, Branston MO area, Nashville TN area, Hillsville VA area, ending up at Cherry Hill Park, in College Park MD.

I'm researching RV parks that we could stay at during our journey from Palm Springs to Washington, D.C. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

DougC

Hi DougC,

My recommendations are:

Branson - Branson KOA 800-467-7611 After many trips to Branson, trying different CGs, this is where we now stay. 1/2 mile to the "strip" and easy in and out. All the usual amenities. Sites with trees and without trees. Most all sites are quite level. The CG is very well maintained. There are no roads level or straight in Branson. The shows you will see may end after sundown. This is why I like the KOA. It is an easy drive from a show to the CG, well lit roads. On the negative side, Shenanigans is also close to the strip, but the layout is very tight (very narrow sites) and the hill and turn once in the CG will wake you right up. Also, consider staying away from America's Best CG. It is located far from the strip. The sites are not level. I found the staff less than helpful.

Nashville - Along Music Valley Drive there are three CGs next to one another (Camping World is there too). A Yogi Bear 615-889-4225), Independent and a KOA (800-562-7789). We stay at Yogi or the KOA. The independent has small sites (length and width). All three of these CGs are expensive. They are about 2 miles from the Opry and the Boat Cruise. If you don't mind a bit of a drive (about 15 miles from the Opry) consider Nashville Country RV Park 615-859-0348. It is a Passport America Park. With the rack rate you'll save about $20 a night over the previously mentioned CGs on Music Valley Drive. With PPA you'll save a bunch more $s. This CG is about 1 and 1/2 miles from exit 98 on I65. All the CGs are clean and well maintained. It comes down to convenience vs a drive to get to the Opry.

In the Washington, DC area, Cherry Hill CG is, for my $s, the only place to stay. While not all like the amount of kids/families in the park, the total package they offer just can't be beat, for touring DC. There are some worn and torn spots. If you go to their web site, try to get a site close to the CG entrance. This place is huge. If not near the entrance you've got quite a hike to get to the office or the bus. (Public transportation to DC is the best way to get in and out of DC, for a tourist). There is parking next to the bus stop, but can fill quickly.

Have a great trip and be safe.

There is a nice state park near Tyler, Texas if you get down on I-20. I don't know anything about I-40. When we are up in that area we have relatives who we stay with.

RV Park, Tyler State Park, 903-597-5338, 789 Park Road, Tyler Texas 75706

There is a nice state park near Tyler, Texas if you get down on I-20. I don't know anything about I-40. When we are up in that area we have relatives who we stay with.

RV Park, Tyler State Park, 903-597-5338, 789 Park Road, Tyler Texas 75706

Thanks for the information.

DougC

Soon we are taking our first long trip in our motorhome, from Palm Springs, CA to Washington, D.C. We are allowing an average of 300 miles per day and plan overnight stops in Sedona AZ, the Albuquerque NM area, Amarillo TX area, Oklahoma City area, Branston MO area, Nashville TN area, Hillsville VA area, ending up at Cherry Hill Park, in College Park MD.

I'm researching RV parks that we could stay at during our journey from Palm Springs to Washington, D.C. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

DougC

We often stay in a great park near Max Meadows, VA called the Fort Chiswell RV Park. It is on I-81 & I-77 but just over a small hill so traffic noise is minimal. Long pull-thrus and good services. They take Good Sam and they even gave me a discount using my KOA card! Great for an over-night. Hess Travel center close by.

Guest Wayne77590

If traveling through Memphis, the Tom Saywer Mississippi River Resort was nice when we stayed there. Free laundry.

In Crossville, TN is a CG called Deer Run. it is PPA and was quite a surprise. I will always try to stay there for a few days rest if I get back through that way.

Here is one to avoid:

http://www.arkriverrim.com/

We were there in July of 09 and he is a real grouch. They advertise WiFi and when I asked about using it I had to listen to his grips about how campers abuse it by uploading and downloading pictures, about downloading movies. Woops, I thought that was what the service was for. He said his wife could never get online because the "Paying customers" were using all of the bandwidth. There were no repeaters and he said he was not going to install any.

He said it was FREE to the campers and they should not complain if it did not work. Nothing is free, WiFi is part of what we were paying for. Either provide it or don't advertise having WiFi. I never was able to get online there, even parked just outside the office.

Oasis RV Resort in Amarillo.

I would suggest that you get a Passort America membership. Use it and the aforementioned www.rvparkreviews.com/ to pick out the better ones along your route. You'll save a fortune in campground fees.

The Oasis in Amarillo is really nice and, as of one month ago, was going for $20 per night! HOWEVER, if the wind is blowing from the southwest, the aroma of nearby feed lots will possibly overwhelm you! If you like eau de cow poop, you'll love the Oasis.