Sign in to follow this  
rvpapa3@yahoo.com

Tow rating for 2002 Ford F250

I'm wanting to buy a 1999 Hitchiker 5th wheel (I know this is towing a car section). The Hitchiker weighs 14,000 lbs. My Ford is a Superduty 7.3 diesel and runs great. It has over 200,000 miles, has great oil pressure. What do you think?

Guest BillAdams
I'm wanting to buy a 1999 Hitchiker 5th wheel (I know this is towing a car section). The Hitchiker weighs 14,000 lbs. My Ford is a Superduty 7.3 diesel and runs great. It has over 200,000 miles, has great oil pressure. What do you think?

What do we think about what? How is your 250 setup? Is it rated to tow a 14,000# trailer? Is this a 5th wheel and are you able to setup the PU for the proper towing hardware and position?

We towed travel trailers for years. If your truck is a 1 ton dually, you are fine if it's rated to tow that amount of weight. Just don't try to tow a unit that your tow vehicle is not rated to do so. Also, the 5th wheel may weigh considerably more once you load your "stuff" in it, and if you plan to carry much water. Pushing a tow vehicle beyond it's capabilities is a recipe for disaster for you and the others you share the road with. You need the power not only to tow the 5th wheel, but to stop it isafely within a short distance--in an emergency. Safe and Happy RVing. :rolleyes: