Doug-BettyTaylor

Vibration in National RV Sea Breeze

Folks,

I have a 2005 National RV SeaBreeze with the Ford F53 chasis. I have been noticing a vibration (primarily from the seat) from about 55 to 60MPH. I needed new tires anyway so had new tires installed and balanced. Still had the vibration so had the dealer re-balance the tires. Still have the vibration. Any thoughts out there? I wonder if the drive shaft is out of balance - I check all the carrier supports and could not detect anything loose. Don't think the vibration comes from the steering components as I don't feel much vibration from the steering wheel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

D. Taylor

Two things I would look into:

1. Tracker Bar on the front steering suspension may need to be tightned or replaced. It's difficult to determine and would suggest you have a reputable repair shop determine.

2. It could very well be the drive shaft "U-Joints". I had this issue on a previous Coach, vibration is felt all the way to the front seat. My so called reputable repair shop said all was good. Well, U-Joint exploded and lots of damage including a hole in my Allison transmission. Not a good trip.

Raise the front wheels off the ground and check RUN-OUT. Ford had a series of wheels that had sufficient "slop" to allowed the wheels to be mounted such they had excessive run-out. Any good tire dealer has a run-out gauge, and it only takes about 2 minutes per tire.

Ford did come out with a "shim" kit to help in centering the wheels if this is your problem.

If not that, indeed check the driveshaft balance next.

Brett

Vibrations:

1) If you feel a vibration in your steering wheel the cause is coming from the front end. ie, Balance, Shocks, Bent Rim, etc.

2) If you feel a vibration in your seat the cause is coming from the rear end. ie, Balance, Shocks, Bent Rims, Drive Line, etc.

When you have the tires rebalanced that is when the bent rims could be checked.

Drive line needs a good technician.

Good luck, However if you can't solve your problem just think how much fuel you will stay by driving under 55.

Vibrations:

1) If you feel a vibration in your steering wheel the cause is coming from the front end. ie, Balance, Shocks, Bent Rim, etc.

2) If you feel a vibration in your seat the cause is coming from the rear end. ie, Balance, Shocks, Bent Rims, Drive Line, etc.

Drive line needs a good technician.

Good luck, However if you can't solve your problem just think how much fuel you will stay by driving under 55.

Herman,

Thanks for the info. I will be taking the coach into have the rear tires&wheels balanced while on the vehicle next week. They will also check the u-joints, and shocks. The shocks should be o.k. as they are Bilsteins with only 40K miles. This shop cannot check the drive shaft balance so if I still have a problem will have to find a place that can check that.

Thanks again,

Doug T.

Two things I would look into:

1. Tracker Bar on the front steering suspension may need to be tightned or replaced. It's difficult to determine and would suggest you have a reputable repair shop determine.

2. It could very well be the drive shaft "U-Joints". I had this issue on a previous Coach, vibration is felt all the way to the front seat. My so called reputable repair shop said all was good. Well, U-Joint exploded and lots of damage including a hole in my Allison transmission. Not a good trip.

Thanks for the info. I will be taking the coach into have the rear tires&wheels balanced while on the vehicle next week. They will also check the u-joints, tracker bar, and shocks. The shocks should be o.k. as they are Bilsteens (spelling?) with only 40K miles. This shop cannot check the drive shaft balance so if I still have a problem will have to find a place that can check that.

Thanks again,

Doug T.

Raise the front wheels off the ground and check RUN-OUT. Ford had a series of wheels that had sufficient "slop" to allowed the wheels to be mounted such they had excessive run-out. Any good tire dealer has a run-out gauge, and it only takes about 2 minutes per tire.

Ford did come out with a "shim" kit to help in centering the wheels if this is your problem.

If not that, indeed check the driveshaft balance next.

Brett

Thanks for the info. I will be taking the coach into have the rear tires&wheels balanced while on the vehicle next week. They will also check the run-out, u-joints, and shocks. The shocks should be o.k. as they are Bilsteins with only 40K miles. This shop cannot check the drive shaft balance so if I still have a problem will have to find a place that can check that.

Thanks again,

Doug T.

Vibrations:

Drive line needs a good technision.

Bret, Don & Herman are all wondering if you got the coach checked out and found the vibration?

I feel your pain. I once had the balance weights fly off of a drive shaft in a 1982 Pace Arrow. I took the driveshaft to a local driveshaft shop. They installed new balance weights, balanced the shaft & only charged me $35.00. That probably sounds cheap, but it was done fifteen years ago.