kevinpvb

Entry Steps Inoperable

Hello All:

I have a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery - 40X.

The Kwikee entry steps are stuck in the retracted position (much better than the alternative ... I suppose).

How can I start troubleshooting the problem? The convenience light is on under the coach, so I think that means that I have power to the steps. I can't pull the steps out by hand. I recently had the joints greased by my RV service facility.

I've never had any problems with the steps before and I haven't noticed them acting sluggishly.

All suggestions are welcomed.

I would start by making sure the switch that operate the step is working. On my coach ('04 Southwind) there is a magnet on the screen door which actuates a reed switch fastened to the door jamb. If the magnet is stuck to the switch the steps will stay retracted.

Other possibilities include a stone or equivalent jambing the steps or a connector to the motor not tight. In any event be very careful around those steps, If they decide to extend while you are messing around they are very powerful.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I am not a mechanic just an RVer who would rather try to make it work then pay shop rates for something simple.

Hi kevinpvb,

You'll need meter to diagnose the problem. With the coach door open, start by determining if there is 12 VDC to the step motor. If so, the ground or motor is bad. There could also be a tremendous bind in the steps. However, I have not found this to be the case in many years. If there is no 12 VDC to the motor, work your way back until you find 12 VDC. Once you have found the power, you will have found the problem.

Hi, have you lubed the pivots on you step. The step, in out '87, got cranky and I found it had never been lubed. They should be lubed about every 30 days [factory] if your using it a lot. It'll make a lot of difference. Before you try pulling out the step i would suggest you disconnect the power, and the link. That's a powerful motor and it could hurt or injure you. We also had a fussy door switch which I finally had to replace as well.........Good luck, Jerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sea ya!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~