Sign in to follow this  
JaneBouland

Flying J/Pilot

I have been informed by Flying J that they will no longer honor awards cards. They do have a generic RV REAL VALUE CARD, but it is useless to me since it is not valid at the truck island. I avoid the RV islands due to their poor design and hazardous locations.

I doubt that FJ will miss my business, but it confirms that FJ and PILOT do not want the RV business customer.

Guest BillAdams

You cannot confirm a non-truth!

Pilot still remains pretty RV non-friendly but that's always been the case. Flying J remains fully RV friendly and now offers a larger discount on fuel than previously available before the merger. I drive a 40' coach with a large toad and I have been able to use the RV islands without issue. Now, I have to admit that I preferred using the truck lanes and this service is due to be restored in the near future.

In the meantime, it is a minor inconvenience to use the RV island and I will continue to buy my fuel at Flying J as long as they take my CC at the cash price, offer the fuel discount and offer a dump for just $5. That all sounds fair to me.

This past September it was a truth -Jane is dead on. No discounts, no cash price with CC in VA nor Ohio. Maybe Indiana where I believe Bill was is late to get the bad news. Check price at comchek - Flying J is not the best anymore so why pay cash. Wawa annd Sheetz both lower near Richmond Va and they take cards.

Sounds like this would be a good forum topic if anyone is listening. Postings here about RV friendly fuel stops would be helpful, and don't forget the ones off the main drags. Just a thought.

Ward

Does the value card really matter? Personally I look for the station with easy access and egress. Nothing else really matters, and I will pay a few cents more for accessibility. Many FlyingJ's are well planned, some are not, and are a nightmare to pull through with a toad, even in the RV lane. On the I-5 near Lodi, I have found the 76 truck stop, across the street from FlyingJ to be far more RV friendly, with many wide islands and a huge turn-around accessing a side street. I hope Pilot and Flying J will continue to offer clean, big rig friendly establishments, with decent food and an assortment of supplies. Same for T/C, Loves, and others.

I, for one, don't need a card, just treat me right and I will be a customer.

JMHO, Happy Trails.

Guest BillAdams
This past September it was a truth -Jane is dead on. No discounts, no cash price with CC in VA nor Ohio. Maybe Indiana where I believe Bill was is late to get the bad news. Check price at comchek - Flying J is not the best anymore so why pay cash. Wawa annd Sheetz both lower near Richmond Va and they take cards.

I am a full-timer so while I "was" in Indiana I am now in NM after travels through MO, LA and OK (passing through others) and we are on our way to AZ and NV in the next few months. What the original poster said was "...but it confirms that FJ and PILOT do not want the RV business customer." That is simply untrue and just a post made out of frustration about one particular experience.

We stopped at Flying-J in Salt Lake City today. Easy in and out. Filled up the propane tank, got a $.10 per gallon discount. Filled up diesel tank, got a $.03 per gallon discount. RV card worked in the reader in the RV lanes as it was supposed to, had to go inside to pay for the propane. The restaurant was torn up with remodeling, I don't know what they are putting in. I saw Subways in some Flying-J's in California last month. The discounts are better than they were before Pilot took over. The truck lane discount is supposed to be available in the truck lanes as soon as they can get their computers and pumps updated. Lets give them a break and allow them time to do their thing. So far, I have no complaints with the stations that I have used since the merger. Hopefully, some of what we liked about Flying-J will rub off on the Pilot stations and give us more options! :rolleyes:

Guest BillAdams
We stopped at Flying-J in Salt Lake City today. Easy in and out. Filled up the propane tank, got a $.10 per gallon discount. Filled up diesel tank, got a $.03 per gallon discount. RV card worked in the reader in the RV lanes as it was supposed to, had to go inside to pay for the propane. The restaurant was torn up with remodeling, I don't know what they are putting in. I saw Subways in some Flying-J's in California last month. The discounts are better than they were before Pilot took over. The truck lane discount is supposed to be available in the truck lanes as soon as they can get their computers and pumps updated. Lets give them a break and allow them time to do their thing. So far, I have no complaints with the stations that I have used since the merger. Hopefully, some of what we liked about Flying-J will rub off on the Pilot stations and give us more options! :rolleyes:

Many (most?) Flying J restaurants are becoming Denny's. I still pass by a Pilot station without a second thought so I am also hopeful that the Flying J merger will eventually make Pilots at least somewhat RV friendly.

We've been on the road this summer, MO to CO and CA and then the entire southern tier of states with the exception of Florida. Flying J is in a state of confusion as best I can tell. We purchased propane last week and got no discount. Some places our fuel ticket lists a discount. One clerk told me the discount was figured in the price of the fuel on the pump, e.g. the credit card at cash price. I have to take my RV discount card in to the desk to get the discount. I haven't been able to run it at a single pump this summer. This card is only a year or so old, it should be working but the pumps I've used won't read it. The price edge that Flying J always had seems to have disappeared. I assume that was a special contract they had with a supplier and the bankruptcy ended that deal.

I'm still a Flying J customer and will stay with them because of the RV islands, the dump station, the propane and cash price for credit purchases. This confusion will pass eventually.

There are sometimes local suppliers that offer competitive prices and, like Ward says, this would be a good place to post some of those local sources that the rest of us may not know about. For myself, I have mentioned this source before. In Missouri on I-70, exit 203, Foristell, Mr. Fuel has prices that are now usually somewhat lower than the Flying J at exit 188 in Warrenton and they do not penalize credit cards so credit cards are same as cash. The truck pumps are easily accessed. I haven't been through the regular pumps but smaller motor homes might make it through them with no problem. There is truck parking but it is all back in parking, no pull through spots.

I make it a habit to check fuel prices on the Flying J web site which gives me a good comparison of prices from state to state. I bought fuel in Mississippi yesterday and will take on more fuel near Houston tomorrow. Those are the cheapest locations for diesel along our route of travel. I wish there were a way to filter out the Pilot locations from the Flying J listings but now they are all together. It makes a much larger list but it is harder to pick out the Flying J locations.

I've been on the road since early June. What the J lacks is a consistent fueling process. I'll wait and see when/if the truck pumps are once again opened to providing the RV Value Card the cash price and discount at the truck pumps. For me the RV pumps are a safety hazard with 63 feet of coach and toad. I used to be 100% J. Now I stop there only when it is necessary. Maybe we will get another letter saying the truck pump fueling process is now consistent with the RV pump fueling process. When that happens, I'll once again be a 100% J customer.

Guest Wayne77590

I'm do not have a preference of which truck stop I fuel up, but I do always use the truck lanes. If traveling on city streets and needing fuel, I'll look for an easy parallel entry/exit, or some place I know that I can pull through and make the turns. Other than that, price really doesn't matter. However, my CC gives me money back, so I save that way. If I'm really strapped, I'll "plan ahead."

Click this link: Diesel Boss

I've used Flying J for yearts and liked them. I went to their credit card to get best price and dropped my RV real value card. Now I have a letter saying they are dropping their credit card and the way to get the cash price is to open a bank account with them and use their debit card. I don't want another bank account. Does anyone have a suggestion?

David A. Lowe

Guest BillAdams

The cash price is still available with a CC at their RV pumps. You need the RV loyalty card and you get the cash price plus the diesel/gas RV discount. The problem I am seeing is that even at the discounted price FJ is now more expensive and many other (although less convenient) options. We have been saving 10-20 cents per gallon by finding a local high volume gas station. It takes longer to fill due to the small size of the nozzle and pumping speed but the extra $20-$40 per fill up is worth it to me. Flying J in Kingman, AZ $3.21. Filled up in Flagstaff, AZ instead at $3.09